1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have we covered Kurt Greenbaum of the STL P-D here yet?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Det. Jimmy McNulty, Feb 13, 2010.

1. This all went down in November, but it was mentioned in an article in today's Chicago Tribune. I did a search for guy's name, it's Kurt Greenbaum, and nothing came up.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-met-anonymous-internet-posters-20100212,0,7539146.story

Anonymity is no guarantee in online postings

News organizations, courts finding ways to subpoena people who post defamatory comments in online forums

Then you read the second half of the article:

He got this guy fired! All for making a "vulgar comment." Here's his blog:

http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/the-editors-desk/the-editors-desk/2009/11/post-a-vulgar-comment-while-youre-at-work-lose-your-job/comment-page-3/#comments

I'm enraged this guy is even employed. Greenbaum, his boss, and his/her boss' boss should be fired immediately. If anyone signed off on this, they should be fired. I would sue Greenbaum and his employer so fast their heads would spin and Greenbaum's lucky if nothing physically happens to him. You just don't fuck up another guy's living just because he made some comment online you didn't like.

Incredible. I am glad I am not Kurt Greenbaum. It is definitely going to suck to be him for a long, long time.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He used to work at my paper.

Didn't know him very well.

I do know this... if I went to those lengths to get someone fired, I would be worried for my kids or my wife or myself.

Just don't fuck around like that. And, if you do, don't publicize it.

Putz.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://www.kurtgreenbaumisapussy.com/

(It's frightening what google search can bring up these days)

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Dude, don't post that comment from the school computer.

5. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

What a douchebag.

Wonder if he thinks his actions were worth the shitstorm he's apparently caused.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

1. Don't post that comment on a school or work computer

2. I don't care how much you want to find out who wrote it, if you can't delete it or block someone from posting it, you're a bigger wuss.

That is frightening to read that.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Anonymous posts on any message board or blog can be deleted with impunity.

Who's gonna protest, "BadassBasementBoy" ??

If you're a moderator and a post upsets you, go ahead and do that.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Classic plains-state busybody.

Obviously votes the straight GOP ticket.

Not enough bad things can happen to this joker.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wonderfully snarky stuff here.... would the owner like to write the poll story next year?

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks for calling us plain-staters a bunch of fucking morons, jerk. Have a great day!

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'd assume the blue/sarcasm font holds, but in case not:

I didn't.

I was specifying this individual clown.

Anybody who comes up with any contrary evidence regarding this jerk, I'll
    stand corrected -- but not
    holding my breath.

No offense meant to you.
    Don't jump to hasty conclusions.

12. I don't have a big problem with what Greenbaum did. Every day each of us writes something for the paper, we're held accountable for what we write. It sounds like some school staffer somewhere wrote something vulgar and was held accountable. I wouldn't have gone to the trouble to rat him out, but if, heaven forbid, someone was actually held accountable for what they said, I can't say I have any inclination to rush to his defense.

Draft saved Draft deleted