1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have the terrorists won?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Sep 15, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Gas prices nearing $4 a gallon
    Economy in the tank
    Wall Street wobbling
    A struggling war effort in Iraq and Afghanistan
    Our political leadership Bush and Congress at all time lows in public approval
    A journalism industry in free fall
    A polarized electorate
    Infrastructure crumbling.
    Hurricanes and other natural disasters costing billions of dollars

I love this country as much as anyone, but not only am I concerned about the future of our country, I'm concerned about the future of many of the pillars of our society that should be depended on to lead us through this. Somebody tell me I'm overreacting. Please.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I don't think it's online, but in the new Esquire - the 75th anniversary one - there's a short essay from an economist/environmental guy from Norway or Sweden, I think. Basically he says things are actually getting better, they're not as bad as people think, it's just that we're more aware now of all the troubles in the world. He explains it better than I just summarized, so give it a read if you get a chance. It actually is fairly reassuring. And when I think about it, would I rather have been living in the 30s (Depression), the 40s (war), 50s (McCarthy, polio, threat of nuclear destruction), 60s (Vietnam, assassinations of numerous high-profile leaders, 70s (economic troubles, executive branch in chaos, disco), etc., etc. Looking back the 90s do seem pretty sweet, but, no, I don't think the terrorists have won, unless they're the ones behind Craigslist, which have done in newspapers.

As long as that superconductor doesn't blow us up, I think we'll be all right.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Didn't we just do this last week?
    Yes, Dan, you are overreacting.
    Our problems are a result for the dumbest president and worst administartion in our history. It's not the terrorists who have won, it's the goddamn Republicans.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

As long as Warren Harding is still in the books as a president, I think Bush gets a pass for worst administration in history.

Carter was the most incompetent. Harding the most corrupt, with Nixon being No. 2.

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Fareed Zakaria's new book also addresses this stuff... there was an excerpt in Newsweek earlier this summer.. sort of what Small Town Guy was talking about... things are getting better.. the world is a lot smaller and a lot of what's happening, like the price of gas, which is in part because of increased demand in India and China, is happening because of the free world the U.S. has worked toward. The question is what do we do now? I love Fareed.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Exceedingly well-done.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Short answer: No, unless you can show me where the terrorists have a hurricane machine. If they do, I might have to reconsider my answer.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

9. You're so naive.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't know if the terrorists have won, but Appleton West beat Fond du Lac 20-13 on Friday.

So yes, the Terrors have won.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Any more posts like this and it's approaching petty-ness...

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't know what that means.

Draft saved Draft deleted