1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have the Mainstream Media Ignored Our Heroes?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 19, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Here's what I love about this absolute shit: Somehow, the media are the bad guys instead of the people who sent these guys to war on a whim, have forced many of them to stay long past their assigned tours, have refused to supply them with the appropriate equipment, have cut their benefits, have lied to them repeatedly and have never showed one ounce of remorse for having killed over 2,500 Americans because they made a long string of mistakes.

Yeah, the media, that's the problem here.  ::)

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, well, well. Lookie what I stumbled on to today.

Seems that the media WANTS to do more positive stories but is being PREVENTED --- with good reason, I might add --- by the AMERICAN officials over there.

CBS war correspondent Lara Logan told CNN that her requests for optimistic stories are often rejected by American officials in Iraq, who tell her, "Sorry, we can't take you to that school project, because if you put that on TV, they're going to be attacked, the teachers are going to be killed, the children might be the victims of the attack, Sorry, we can't show this reconstruction project because then that's going to expose it to sabotage."

Think long and hard about this point the next time you accuse the media of "wilfully" ignoring good news in Iraq.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Here's a link to a column on mainstream media member Joe Galloway, who just retired as Knight Ridder's military writer

Perhaps Cap had heard of him?

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/columns/pressingissues_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002690039

4. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

And to hand out Purple Hearts, too. Three of them went out here today.
    One guy was burned over 70 percent of his body and was wrapped up with just a ventilator sticking out from his mummified body. Another was sedated with exterior/interior rods bracing his left leg plus a stomach injury. The third had mere staples in his head and might be headed back to Iraq this week if he gets his way.
    These are the heroes. They present themselves on a daily basis during this war. We only usually meet the injured ones. And that's a fleeting exchange.

5. I guess the whole world is in on keeping those secret CIA prisons a secret:

http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/articles/2006/04/21/eu_official_no_evidence_of_illegal_cia_action/

And Ragu - that guy Maher Arar that you linked to? WTF? The guy was on a suspect list - he knows another guy on the terrorist list - so we deport him to the country of his birth (there was NO mention of him being a Canadian citizen). I have no problem with that at all.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Deport?!?!? Did you read the story. He wasn't deported. There were no legal proceedings. He was kidnapped, tossed in a plane, flown to Jordan, driven to Syria in secret and tortured. For a year, "They whipped his hands repeatedly with two-inch-thick electrical cables, and kept him in a windowless underground cell that he likened to a grave." He was never charged with anything, and was only released when the Canadians took up his cause. You might not have a problem with your country behaving that way, but I do. We are supposed to be better than that. We are supposed to be the one place in the world where you can always count on justice, a rule of law that allows everyone due process and a strict adherence to human rights. You scare me, Lou.

7. Maher Arar was deported the same way that Fallujah was redecorated.
    Give it up, Ragu. There are some people who will countenance anything.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Actually, not the WHOLE world. Quoting the story:

More like all the world who would be in serious trouble if it's true. It's basically boiling down to people who said they were held saying they were held and questioned and the officials who would've been in charge saying, no they weren't. At least, when you read past the first two paragraphs of the story, that's what it says.

9. The United States government can deny. today. that the prisons exist and that they are rendering people to them. If they don't exist, what's the problem? Unfortunately, the USG doesn't have the credibility of a Nigerian spam posting any more.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Having slandered members of the working press with this thread and the false premise from which it sprang, I'm going to bounce this entry back up the board until Mr. Merloni contrives a suitable response.

And your answer, sir?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

LouLou is trying to dig up some right-wing blog that might blame the media for Pat Tillman's death.

He'll get back to you next week.

12. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Our military has hung in there despite all those Democratic politicians saying there would be thousands and thousands of soldier deaths in the first week in Iraq. That's pretty good news.

And for those scoring at home, it's been three days, and not one shred of evidence produced.

Draft saved Draft deleted