1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Have smartphones destroyed a generation?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 4, 2017.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

As a millennial (that's what we call 30 year olds, right?), I look forward to when we drive the phrase balance a checkbook from the lexicon.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Is "balance a checkbook" the new "Netflix and chill?"

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Do they live in a big city?

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Between my teenage son and some of the older people he is around -- along with some of my younger colleagues -- I'm coming around on the millennials.

Sure, they can't spell but they also put up with bullshit at work or in life. They seem to want to travel more instead of buying an Audi. I love that.

Here is what I do wonder.

When the economy turns bad (and I believe it will by the end of 2018/early 2019) and unemployment jumps from 4.2% to 7%, will they be able the economy shift? Every group has it a little bit easier when everyone can find a job.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Clarified.

(And as guilty as anyone, which I have been trying to remedy. First step was setting my Facebook seasonal photo albums privacy setting to "Only Me.")

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

No, they don't.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Wow. That is an outlier.

9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I've tried to keep from being judgemental about cell phones at concerts, but when I'm trying to see an act through a forest of arms hoisting phones and tablets, it's hard to not get annoyed. Having said that, it's easy to see how this is a generational thing. Take a look at this video:

My first thought was, "Gah! Feckin' kids! She's right there in front of you! Be in the moment." Then it occurred that this is the way kids enjoy things now. There's also the mitigating factor that the person who is being sung to is in hospice and this is their attempt at saving the moment.

Edited to add that it seems like it's the older people in the room who are experiencing this mostly through their screens.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I took my 8-year-old to a Sox game the other night and made the considered decision not to take photos or check in on any social media. I thought, "I go to these five or six times a year. Does the world really need to know we're here? Do I really need to announce to the world that my wife and 4-year-old daughter are home alone together tonight so that people can validate me being at the White Sox fucking Astros game?"

You just get into this mode where you feel like you have to take a photo of everything, or it didn't happen. It's addicting. I have two photos from MLB stadiums from when I was a kid. One at Comiskey and one at Wrigley. That's it. I treasure them both. I don't feel like the other experiences are somehow diminished.

Johnny Dangerously likes this.
  11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

At the end of that youtube, one of the next videos previewed is
    Austin teen dies months after.....

:(:(:(

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you can resist taking pictures or video of that, you have more willpower than I ever can hope for.

SpeedTchr likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted