1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Have smartphones destroyed a generation?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Atlantic story from the new issue. Among the revelations: 12th graders in 2017 go out less without their parents than 8th graders did in 2009.

Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation?

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't know about smartphones, but in re: the "destroyed a generation" matter The Atlantic's got some 'splainin' to do ...

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's because parents of current high schoolers are wildly cool in a way not previously seen in America.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Present company excluded, I'd wager.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In my day we didn't have any consarned fiddle diddle smart phones. In my day the phones weighed 25 pounds and only super cool teevee detectives like Joe Mannix had phones in their cars.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There are measurably negative effects. Sometimes things are just moral panics about young people. But sometimes, things are genuinely a cause for real concern.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dems just lost more voters. /Alma

dixiehack likes this.
  9. Songbird

Would 12th-graders want to go out with their wildly cool parents anyway?

(Songbird photo at Ben's on 38th ca. 2010)

CIHD1Q7W8AEQLIl.png

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That's a 5+ minute video!!! What's in the rest of the video? Something besides that table of old guys must have caught your attention.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think it's unfair to pick on the kids, honestly.

It's ruining people across many generations.

At least part of it is the burden of knowing all this shit that you'd rather not know, and conflating that knowledge to imagine things are worse than they actually, or, in the case of Facebook, people are living spectacular lives full of eating out and vacations until, all of the sudden, they're arguing on Facebook about some damn thing or another.

I had Facebook on the phone for awhile, maybe 6 months. Gone now. Haven't missed it.

FileNotFound likes this.
  12. Songbird

Spent the day photographing people in NYC avoiding humanity by having their noses knee-deep in their phones.

We don't look at each other anymore.

Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted