1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have Mac. Need acounting software.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ADodgen, Jan 26, 2010.

1. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

So, one of my goals for 2010 is to do a better job keeping records about freelance shooting gigs I do.

I've never really set out to do this systematically, so I'm looking for some recommendations for accounting software.

Thoughts?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Don't know much about this but wouldn't Excel do the trick? Do you actually need accounting software? Just curious.

3. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

That's a totally fair question, and one I will put to our fine community here to answer.

4. McCrank

McCrank Member

Try this: http://tinyurl.com/yegfspu

The beauty of the internet is that most questions have probably been answered, if you look hard enough. Or, you know, at all.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I use ... docs.google.com ... You can create a spreadsheet there, and then access it from any computer you've got.

Or

You can get iWork ... http://www.apple.com/iwork/numbers/

6. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Your snarkiness is dooley noted, sir, but the very first thing I did was Google the matter. It just do happens I have a good deal of faith in the knowledge base found at this site, and chose to make in inquiry here. Sorry if that offends your delicate sensibilities.

7. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I've used both Google docs and Open Office in the past, but was wasn't sure if maybe there was something out there that could streamline the process a bit more. Maybe it's not a lack of software on my part, but a lack of knowledge about how best to use what I have.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you want something more than a spreadsheet, HC uses Quicken--she has a newer version than me

Since she's an actor, she's self-employed so uses it to track expenses, etc.

I'll ask her to hop on to this thread tonight and she can put in her two cents worth.

She's also the Queen of Spreadsheets so I'd listen to her advice. :)

9. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Fantastic, JR. Exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for. I know there are a number of people on here who need to be able to invoice, track expenses, etc. I'll bow to her Highness. :D

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You forgot to tell him to fetch you a beer (you're in your second incarnation, you had plenty of posts in the first one, you qualify).

Speaking of which ... yo, McCrank! Fetch me and ADodgen each a beer! Quality craft beer, too! None of that mass-produced swill!

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Quickbooks is the best accounting software for a small business, but it might be overkill for what you want it for. The version for the Mac has always lagged behind the PC version, too. We actually have a lonely PC in a Mac-based business just to do business stuff and run Quickbooks. I just looked, and there is a new 2010 edition of Quickbooks for the Mac. It's more expensive than the PC version (Quickbooks Pro) and I can't vouch for it. One solution, if you are on an Intel-based Mac, is to run Boot Camp and add a small Windows partition and use it just to run Quickbooks. There is also an online version of Quickbooks. I can't vouch for it either, but it might be worth looking into.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I do use Quicken but I use it to keep my bank accounts, credit cards, RRSP, etc. For expense tracking, I really find that Excel (or Open Office Calculate, since I didn't want to pay for it!) does the best job. It's easy to customize and cross reference. I keep a page for my mileage too so every thing is in one place.

I'm sure there are accounting packages that do wonderful things but I found the ones that I looked at too complicated and too expensive for my needs.

Hope this helps.

Draft saved Draft deleted