1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have fun flying this summer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 19, 2016.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's considerably cheaper under the right circumstances. That can change in a hurry because they will nickel-and-dime you to death if you let them.

Popular in-season destination + short stay (so only carry-on needed) + let them make the seat assignments usually equals a substantial savings. Time is money, too. So no lines and non-stop trips save a bundle of that commodity as well. I can leave my house at 5 p.m. for a 6 p.m. Allegiant flight that will get me to FLL by 8 p.m. On most any other carrier it would mean leaving the house before 3 p.m. and arriving at FLL around 11.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

We were in Phoenix last week (drove, didn't fly) but saw a news report that the public and the airlines are so fed up with the TSA at Sky Harbor that they are considering removing them and hiring their own private security team. The report said that two or three other airports around the country were considering the same thing. I didn't know you could remove TSA and do it yourself. Thought it was a government agency (probably the reason it is messed up).

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is a very idle threat. Any airport that did so and became the site/origin of a terror attack would be sued out of existence.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Some already have.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Their risk. I'd be surprised if it was any of the really big ones, or ones with direct international service.

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Just wait until Allegient charges for carry-ons, like Frontier does.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Definitely money well spent.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What if the TSA situation gets so bad that everybody signs up for PreCheck?

Where will the star-bellied sneeches go then?

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Was just going to say that's the best solution available; almost always significantly shorter line and don't have to strip down to go through the check or take laptop out. I was in Houston about a mo. ago and was bummed when on my late flight the Pre TSA line was closed.

Just remember to put your Traveler Number in everytime you make a reservation!! (I failed recently and paid price)

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Flew into/out of Midway twice last year. They've made a few renovations — for instance, all the car rentals are done out of a nearby, six story parking garage which takes up a city block. That worked pretty well.

As YF noted, having all the passengers herded through one security checkpoint area does NOT work so well ...

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted