1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have another brew, Pete.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Jul 17, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://tinyurl.com/s6w9q

Beer executive Pete Coors loses license

July 16, 2006

DENVER --A hearing officer has revoked the driving license of beer baron Peter Coors after ruling the executive was driving while under the influence of alcohol.
    Article Tools

The revocation was reported in the Rocky Mountain News on Saturday. The hearing officer, Scott Garber, did not return a call.

The revocation decision followed two and a half hours of testimony Friday. Garber ruled that Coors, 59, did not stop at a stop sign and was driving intoxicated on May 28.

Coors said he had drunk a beer about 30 minutes before leaving a wedding.

"I didn't think I was impaired, otherwise I wouldn't have been driving," Coors said. The newspaper quoted Coors as saying he thought he "did a good job" of taking the heel-to-toe walking test in the dark.

He was given two breath tests. In the first, he registered 0.073. In the second, 20 minutes later, he registered 0.088.

In Colorado a blood alcohol count of 0.05 results in a charge of driving while impaired. A count of 0.08 results in driving under the influence.

Coors' spokeswoman Kabira Hatland said Coors was charged with driving while under the influence. A call to Coors' lawyer, Steve Higgens, was not returned.

In a prepared statement, Coors said, "I made a mistake. I should have planned ahead for a ride. For years, I've advocated the responsible use of our company's products. That's still my message, and our company's message, and it's the right message. "I am sorry that I didn't follow it myself." He has 30 days to appeal the revocation.

He faces a July 20 arraignment.

Coors took over as president of his family's company in 1987 and in 2000 was named chief executive of the brewer with 8,500 employees and $4 billion in sales in 2003.

A tall, silver-haired figure familiar to many as the face of Coors television ads, Coors was a political novice in 2004 when he decided to seek the Senate seat being given up by Republican Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell. He won the GOP primary, but was defeated in the 2004 general election by Democrat Ken Salazar.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Preview button can clean this up. ;)

That said, I wonder what Alanis Morrisette would have to say about this.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

0.05 is pretty low. It used to be 0.10, which was two beers. I think a lot of states lowered it to 0.08.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Behold the power of Mothers Against Drunk Driving] Drinking At All.

Draft saved Draft deleted