1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Haunting music

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spup1122, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Jefferson Airplane instrumental Chushingura. It is so brief that the amazon.com sample almost has all of it:

http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Creation-Jefferson-Airplane/dp/B0000A0DRZ

The track "House at Pooneil Corners" is excessively long and apocalyptic.

2. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Follow Buck's advice. Google "music royalties" for quick information, but unless it's become public domain, I can't imagine that you wouldn't have to pay royalties. It also will depend on what type of project you are working on. Is it for a commercial, consumer product, etc.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

From one of my favorite albums.

Re: public domain
    A song may have entered the public domain, that does not mean the performance/recording you mean to use has.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

spup, I don't know where you plan on using this, but Buck's right. I work for a TV station, and we have to account for every cut of music on our air. And as it turns out, we are being audited, and the auditors want to know every piece of music we used over a given time. Luckily, we're good about keeping track of it and only using cleared music.

That said........ I have the PERFECT cut for your project in my desk at work. It's an instrumental cut called "World in Conflict" I think. I was listening to it by myself late night in the audio booth and was almost too scared to walk to my car afterwards.

Too bad I don't know you. ;D

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

The TV station my office is in has a bunch of stock music that we can use so I'm going to be spending some time this afternoon listening to stock music for the haunting piece. The deal is that I want people to be scared but it basically circles around some ghost stories.

6. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

100% correct. I also meant in my previous post that the advice to be followed was yours. Reading it again I see I wasn't very clear.

Disney has gone to court in recent years to try and keep some of its characters from falling into public domain.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I found some good stock music that my company has to use. I'm going to pick three or four options and have them all available for us on this project.

8. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

The beginning of Ice-T's "The Tower"
    Track No. 23 from his O.G. compact disc.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Classical: Someone mentioned "Platoon" earlier. The piece they used is "Adagio for Strings" by Samuel Barber. It's not spooky in a horror movie sense but it is a haunting and very evocative piece.

Another piece you might try is Gorecki's Symphony No. 3 (also known as "Symphony of Sorrowful Psalms"). There is a stunning recording with the American soprano Dawn Upshaw. The vocals feel more like an instrument since the text is very long, drawn out and in Czech.

Personally, I think good Gregorian chant would do the trick. :)

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

How about something by Spooky Tooth?

Draft saved Draft deleted