1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Haunting music

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spup1122, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Try video game soundtracks... especially for horror games, like Silent Hill.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I knew that was coming and I knew it was coming from Buck.

How 'bout Funkadelic's Maggot Brain? It's about 90 percent instrumental. Trippy as hell.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Likely there's some Goth or Doom that's a whole lot spookier, but I'm not a fan. I saw this band "Death Mask" perform once; they're just kind of strange but not scary. On the Myspace page, there are some parts of the song "Forest" especially that might qualify:

http://www.deathmaskmusic.com/index.htm

http://www.myspace.com/deathmask

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You could play the entire Velvet Underground & Nico album. It's the most overrated album ever, but it is spooky.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Aren't there potential copyright issues involved here?
    Also, since Bub didn't like my joke, I'll suggest 'Boxhead' by Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel.
    Or try Andreas Vollenweider. Mostly pretty bright, but some of the stuff from 'Caverna Magica' or 'Down to the Moon' might suit.
    I'd also second the mention of 'Bela Lugosi's Dead' by Bauhaus.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The theme from "The Munsters" ;D

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The soundtrack from the Ric Burns PBS film on New York...
    It isn't scary sounding, but parts alternate between a reflective mood and ominous...

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Anything by Dead Can Dance. Trust me, I think Dead Can Dance would be perfect.

Certain cuts off of "Low" and "Heroes" by Bowie...the slower instrumentals. There's a compilation of Bowie instrumentals called "All Saints" but I don't know what's on it.

Brian Eno has lots and lots of instrumental/ambient music...some peaceful, some haunting.

"Sanctum Sanctorum" off The Damned's "Phantasmagoria."

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Anything by Pink Floyd

Echoes is essentially one long song.......

Good call on The Shining.

10. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.... Always makes me think of a sniper in the rain in an Eastern European town ready to kill a weatly autocrat while in mid-coitus with a prostitue.

A haunting image for me indeed.

11. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

It might be a bit overplayed now, but the main score from Requiem for a Dream. And this doesn't have a lot of movement to it, but the theme from Unsolved Mysteries. That always creeped me out.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Good Lord. Now I have an image in my head that's 2/3 Kundera, 1/3 Raymond Chandler. Sheesh. I guess I'm feeling guilty about that night in Bucharest.

Draft saved Draft deleted