1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hating the mission but supporting the troops

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lamar Mundane, May 5, 2007.

1. audreyld

audreyld Guest

This is, perhaps one of the best explanations of what I think is good about our country. Whether we accomplish anything or not is not the question. The question is whether we are willing to engage in dialogue and debate, to engage one another civically, politically and socially in an effort to be faithful stewards of the task given us -- self-governing.

Well said, AA.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thanks, UT. Appreciate that.

Am I going to convert anyone on this board? Is Yawn? No, in both cases. But at least we're talking (thank God we have that freedom) and I know the discussions I read here get me motivated to discuss those same issues with people not on the board, people not as tuned-in as we are. That's what this is all about.

And Yawn, I won't argue your premise, but could you at least try to add a little civility to your posts? Doesn't matter if others don't (he hit me so I hit him, waaa!), just do your part, please?

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You call this intelligent discussion?:
    I do not. And neither is what Yawn and the other baiters here spew.

I think I answered this one better with this (in regards to Lamar):

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Fenian Bastard and Zeke12 are the leading ambassadors of non-civility.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Three: If you can define baiters as including anyone from the left (specifics please) I will accept the label of "baiter."

But then, Hannity is a baiter. Anyone who jerks a chain of response baits, in the most literal sense.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Notice I said, not to worry about the incivility of others. You can only control yourself.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

So, why no admonition to them?

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Why worry about whether or not they've been admonished?

And, for the record, I have admonished Fenian on this board before.

But why do you have to wait for Fenian or others to be civil before you adopt a civil tone as well? Be a better person and a bigger man. It's easy.

9. rallen13

rallen13 Member

In re: the topic (not the argument), I've said it before and I'll say it again; it is not only possible to revere the troops and revile the war. I do. So does AA. His uncle was the salt of the earth and a decorated Viet Nam war hero. He survived to come home only to die from the effects of Agent Orange. He was a hero. We all loved and cherished him. But we still hated the war, a war that Congress finally ended by cutting off funding and bringing home the troops because it was a war we could not win. (Sound familiar?)
    AA is my hero because he fought in Desert Storm. He, too, was decorated (several times) and survived to come home. Thank God his contraction of Persian Gulf Syndrome (a non-existant disease, according to the military) is not life threatening, just somewhat dibilitating.
    Our troops in Iraq and other MIddle East hot spots are heroes. Many are decorated, some, far too many, posthumously.
    BUT IT IS STILL A WAR WE CANNOT WIN, DAMMIT!

10. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Now that I have vented my feelings, let me just say that it is alright to question someone about their stand regarding war. Please do. Dialogue is essential. But, please, never question their love or admiration for those who fight. There is a big difference between the two questions.
    Hope you are not embarrassed by my comments about your service or my feelings, AA. They are, as only you know, genuine and everlasting.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

No shame from any of your words. I'm unashamedly proud of my service and my country. But it's a tough love and sometimes the country has to be "spanked" to do what's right.

Draft saved Draft deleted