1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hating the mission but supporting the troops

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lamar Mundane, May 5, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Guy, you called out Fenian on a previous thread for not answering a direct question. Now that a question you and TBF clearly don't like is going unanswered.

It's a legit question, whether you agree with the premise or not. Sorry.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

President Bush has used the phrase "Mission Accomplished" several times since the current war with Iraq began. Since the mission has been accomplished, how does pulling the troops out equal defeat? Iraq has a democratically elected government in police. An army and police force in place we've been training for two years (or more). If we pull out the troops now, its not admitting defeat and not losing the war. It's simply the democratically elected government and trained forces couldn't withstand the attacks of opposition forces.

3. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Very true. Bill Clinton was the savior and should have been installed as head dude for life. All of our problems would go away! I have seen the light and you are absolutely correct, Lamar. Awful, awful people, those defeatist Republicans.

Heck, bring all our troops home from everywhere in the world and decommission them. We're wasting money that could be used to provide health care for children, solve our energy crisis, fix the schools, end cruelty to kittens. The possibilities are endless! Why are we wasting money on our military? No one is threatening us, so let's bring the kids home and put that money to use rebuilding from the evil deeds of the Bush-Cheney-Satan cabal.

Thanks for showing me the light, Lamar!

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I realize this will sound annoying and like a cop-out, but generally, I try to avoid these threads with varying degrees of success. Most of the time when I hop in, it's because there's someone who I think will listen and a small conversation worth having (also those that don't require much research - I'm pretty lazy when it comes to these things). Occassionally, I'll comes across someone who is so irritating that I respond and I'll take a shot at someone who just comes here to copy & paste from moveon.com. Not the most mature or productive use of my time, but Im weak, what can I tell you. I noticed that he never posts about sports, found it odd & asked him about it. Not looking to get into a discussion with him though.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

We will exit when Iraq is stable.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Legit issue in that regard, although talking about sports has never been a prerequisite on this board. And whether or not you agree with what Lamar posts about (or doesn't), you did weigh in on the issue and the question was posed with you.

I'm trying to avoid a political battle, but I do feel it's a legit complaint registered when notable Republicans were vocally against the war in Bosnia because it was Clinton in office, and now those same arguments are being used against them, and the people voicing them are being deemed unpatriotic.

Whether you agree with the premise of the war or not, it's an unfair double standard being applied here.

And TBF, I'm a bit disappointed. I know you're not political, but Lamar brought up some legit points. It's worthy of discussion, even if the way it's sometimes presented isn't always appreciated.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I called you a loser because this is the only topic on your mind. This seems to be all you care about. Goddamn it, man. Get over it. If you don't like what's happening, vote the other way. But don't let it consume you.

The ONLY difference between you and Yawn is that you can put together a coherent sentence, although it hasn't been independently confirmed.

And to answer your question, so you won't call me a question-dodger: I could give a fuck less about a deadline. But, I'd like to see one before January -- 'cause that's when I'm slated to join my unit, which is already there.

Edit: to add the bolded "But" that I meant to include.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Which, unfortunately, likely will be next to never, then, since we're trying to end thousands of years of religious and sectarian violence that no one has been able to stop.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

What UT said. This is nothing but baiting for the sake of an argument and provides nothing of value for the board.

10. It's moveon.org, by the way.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Then you're certainly free to exit the conversation. I, personally, see nothing wrong with intelligent citizens discussing an issue that's important to the country. I mean, it is part of the democratic process, whether we actually accomplish anything or not.

Better this than to be brainless slugs casting a vote for someone because he's good looking, is someone you'd want to have a beer with or has a hot wife.

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Why don't you idiots just admit that what you really want is the eradication from any conservative or pro-Bush agendas from this board? That's your agenda within the constipated bowels of the DNC and that's your agenda within the extremist left wing of the Capitol. You will never succeed.

Draft saved Draft deleted