1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hatfields and McCoys (History Channel)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hank_Scorpio, May 27, 2012.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Ratings from Part 1 were pretty good.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=732198&ocid=rr-tv-news

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I will take Hardcore Pawn any day over Pawn Stars.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Help me with something: why do people hate Costner so much. I've pretty much liked most of what he's been in (except Waterworld and a couple of the chick flicks).
    Why the hate?

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

[​IMG]

5. Because he's the same in every movie.
    I like Costner... But all his characters are the same ... Kevin Costner.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hate's strong . . . but he really hasn't grown, and in anything outside of a ball-sports movie, he's like a fish out of water. I liked The Untouchables because the set-pieces are great and the supporting cast was super.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

We'll have to agree to disagree. Did everyone despite Eastwood because he played the same guy for a number of years?

8. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Part II is online under the link for Part I.

http://www.history.com/shows/hatfields-and-mccoys/videos/hatfields-and-mccoys-part-1#hatfields-and-mccoys-part-1

Not bad for any short-timers on the job this week...

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

GF gets angry at the show for what they pay. I don't get it.
    It's a business with overhead and associated costs.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seems pretty clear that everything is prearranged. You tell the producers you have an item, you give details about the item, they arrange to have an expert available to evaluate it - and give Rick a chance to act like he knows what he's talking about when someone comes in with an old cigar box with a former President on it.
    What always amazes me is that people don't figure to try and target their sale to a specific group that might value the thing more highly than a walk-in pawn shop in Vegas. But maybe they wouldn't get a free trip to Vegas out of it.

As for H&M, I liked the first two hours, but this is really just hillbilly kills hillbilly, hillbilly's family avenges (rinse, lather repeat, ad nauseum)

11. It's beyond prearranged.
    Some of the stuff isn't even being sold. It's already owned by the historical society which has it's personnel come in and appraise the stuff.

Prearranged is one thing... This is faked.

http://centraltendencies.com/2011/03/pawn-stars-is-fake/

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I know its staged, but the offers usually seem fair.
    If I'm going to seel the item for $500, I can't give you $400.
    I need room to cover my costs and make money. I'm a business owner, not a collector.

Draft saved Draft deleted