1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hatfields and McCoys (History Channel)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hank_Scorpio, May 27, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The ads for the other shows on History make me think that it's been a while since a Ph.d has received any airtime.
    I don't mind a channel using low-rent reality shows to pay the bill, I just wonder why they don't try and at least justify their name with a decent documentary every now and then. They don't even have to produce it.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

My parents watch "Pawn Stars" on occasion and I have no idea why. The old guy is a knob and that idiot Chumlee or whatever he's called is both annoying and dumb enough to make the "Jersey Shore" cast members look like candidates for a Stephen Hawking fellowship.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Too bad . . . but no surprise. Know that they'll rerun it a million times, were I wrong. Watched the debut of the Hemingway original movie on HBO (frenetic pace, but a lotta laughs, and well worth the time . . . )

4. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I prefer the Hatfields and McCoy's on the Family Feud.

(The news promo that precedes it is funny in its own strange way)

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Watched it last night live. I thought it was very well done.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I agree with Chef. It was pretty good.

7. baskethead

baskethead Member

Was really looking forward to it, got my son in bed early so I could be sure to watch from the beginning, and then fell asleep about a half hour into it. I wasn't bored, just ridiculously tired. Will pick it up On Demand or on a repeat.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

To sum up Kevin Costner's Paper Doll career:

Kevin Costner is a cowboy!

Kevin Costner solves the Kennedy assassination!

Kevin Costner is a baseball player!

Kevin Costner is a golfer!

Kevin Costner is a hillbilly!

9. My DirecTV on-screen sked says Part 1 reruns tonight after Part 2, about 11:05 p.m.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Part 1 is online now.

http://www.history.com/shows/hatfields-and-mccoys/videos/hatfields-and-mccoys-part-1#hatfields-and-mccoys-part-1

11. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I thought it was pretty good. The whole Hatfield-McCoy feud is intriguing.

12. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Even after reading reviews all but panning it (especially, it seems, Part II), I actually enjoyed part 1. I'm a little fearful of being unable to ID most of the characters thanks to all the NHL-playoff beards, but I'm hanging in there, and I know I'll get extra chances as this thing is re-aired 5,431 times in the next three weeks.

For a 6-hour miniseries, I hated how quickly they moved along the Johnse-Roseanna marriage development, and I still have a hard time watching Costner as anything other than Coster-playing-Anse-Hatfield. I actually feel like, though, Bill Paxton has been really good so far.

I'll see the whole thing, because I like crap like this, even when it is crap. I did enjoy Part I, and I've read that Part III is pretty good even by critic standards. I'm in, albeit in a DVR way.

Draft saved Draft deleted