1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hate to say it but Barry is a can't miss for the Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Jan 29, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Here's an even bigger problem for me. While I like Craig Biggio, and I'm assuming that he gets his 3000th hit, I put him in the same category as Raffy. They both lasted a long time and was very steady. However, that doesn't necessarily mean they are ready for the hallowed hall on the first ballot.

2. boots

boots New Member

I understand what you are saying and take no offense to it.

3. boots

boots New Member

Yes, a hall of famer is a hall of famer. However. that first ballot is supposed to be reserved for the best of the best. Of the three that we have been talking about - Raffy, Biggio, and Bonds- only Bonds comes up as a true first ballot - provided there is no clear proof of steroid useage.

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I'm asking because I have no idea -- does it say anywhere on the ballot where a first ballot is reserved for the best of the best or is it just an understood thing?

5. boots

boots New Member

It's an understood thing. The point I'm trying to make is that the first ballot is supposed to be, in my opinion, is for special individuals. Not just those who hung around long enough to collect big numbers.

6. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Boots, I certainly wasn't arguing with your point. I was just curious, that's all.

Thanks for the answer both Boots and Buckweaver.

7. boots

boots New Member

No argument at all SC. I wish many more could relay their thoughts as well without name calling. The future will be interesting for those three when it comes to voting time.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Boots, I won't go with the name-calling, but I do agree with Buck on this one. A Hall of Famer is a Hall of Famer. And I just don't understand the voters who leave a guy off the ballot when they know he belongs, but they just don't like the idea of them getting a unanimous vote.

9. boots

boots New Member

Remember, Jesus had 12 disciples. Eleven went with him. One went against him. If you can't get everyone to follow Jesus, what chance does a baseball player have?
    Besides, the day a player is a unanimous selection is the day hye can say he's the greatest to ever play the game and that is not going to happen in your lifetime.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Here's the thing:

I understand the argument that people saying, "If Dimaggio had to wait, he can wait" are full of shit.

But I can also understand someone who might say something along the lines of, "Ripken and Gwynn are truly in classes by themselves, and I'd like to see just the two of them go in this year."

Does that mean that person can't vote for someone the next year if they only vote for Ripken and Gwynn this year? Equal bullshit.

There are reasons some people have to wait. Pete Rose, for instance, has to wait until he's dead. That's his punishment. Once he's gone, I'm firmly convinced that the Hall will fulfill its obligation as the museum of the game and induct him in some manner. But not while he is alive to enjoy it.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And by that logic, Zeke, Joe Jackson is about 56 years overdue for his Hall of Fame induction.

Here's my statement: A lifetime banishment ends when your life does. Joe and Pete both deserve to be in on their merits as players. When Pete is dead, elect his carcass. Put Joe in now.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Agreed.

What Joe Jackson needs is one influential sports writer to make his case.

Dave Kindred, are you out there?

Draft saved Draft deleted