1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hate to say it but Barry is a can't miss for the Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Jan 29, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

I was looking at the career numbers and I was surprised to see that Barry Bonds COULD hit the 3000-hit mark this season. If he makes it and breaks Aaron's home run mark, it will be hard to deny him a place in Cooperstown. Your thoughts.

2. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

It's a joke if I'm not in.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

There are two members of the 3,000 hit club that will never, ever see the Hall. One is Rafael Palmeiro. The other is Pete Rose.

If Bonds reaches 3,000 and makes the hall, then Cooperstown better let those two in first.

4. boots

boots New Member

Raffy will get in. Pete is in if he comes truely clean.

5. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

It won't happen this season. Bonds has 2,841 hits, leaving him 159 short of 3,000. He hasn't had that many hits in a season since 1998. Plus, he hasn't played in more than 153 games since then either, and because he walks so much, it's harder for him to average even one hit per game.

If Pete Rose hadn't been banned, he might be in the Hall right now. It's not the writers who are keeping him out. And unlike McGwire, Bonds had a good shot at the Hall before the bulked-up late-90s explosion. I think Bonds makes it eventually.

6. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

bumped on to answer some PM's I did not have time to get b4.

Hmm...maybe. Great sig line BTW.

1.) Barry WILL get in

2.) I think Mark will eventually get in (once ppl actually learn about this issue - honestly I think the tide has already turned significantly here)

3.) Pete should already be in

4.) Raffy would get in if Mark & Barry get in - but remember Raffy lovers he is the only one to have failed a steroid test.

If it were me they would all get in - it is the MLB HOF after all and not election for Pope or something. They are all great players that entertained many fans for decades.

7. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Keep. Rose. Out. Forever.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Bonds gets in and no one shows up for the induction ceremony.

9. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

The sad part is - and this might be debatable - if Bonds retired before '98, he might have been a good bet for the HOF. He was considered the best all around player in the game by many, won multiple awards and highly respected -- if not liked.

10. John D. Villarreal

Nice tag lines JM - BOTH of them!

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't think this was ever an issue. With or without PEDs, Bonds has been the best hitter of his generation.

12. John D. Villarreal

Draft saved Draft deleted