1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Hasn't looked back"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Babs, Dec 8, 2009.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The final score also must be the first score mentioned in the story.

2. Jumping back to a previous post, that run of 12 unanswered points ceases to be unanswered when (if) the other team scores. Unless it closes out the game.

My latest project is trying to wean one of our stringers from writing his quotes in the present tense. Every postgame comment is "We played great," coach Jack Cass says. "Our receivers suck," quarterback Joe Weakarm says.

Good thing high school football season is almost over.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

RIP, man, RIP. Gone too soon.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A. Um, all of them.

B. Outstanding.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Deskslave, you are so right.
    Also here's another one done by stringers and newbies, the put the losing team first ie the Bengals defeated the Colt, 35-40 instead of 40-35.

6. doogie448

doogie448 Member

Speaking of over/unders we have a correspondent that likes to try to explain quotes (in parentheses). When his email comes, the game of how many parentheses are in this one begins. We say that gamers are supposed to be 10-12 inches. His always pushes 20.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

That is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Seen it done too many times to count.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So y'all are also against the use of datelines? There actually is value in pointing out that you were there. Access is one of the things reporters are supposed to provide for their readers.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Datelines used to make clips better. The Web has changed that way of thinking IMO.

11. bl67550

bl67550 Member

Hah, when I was first getting started I put together a story like that for a women's softball game. My editor was like..."stop using would so much" and I was like "OK"...

Never did it again...

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Couldn't the same be said of bylines?

Draft saved Draft deleted