1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Hasn't looked back"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Babs, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Babs

Babs Member

"Mickey started off on a tear and hasn't looked back."

I edit out this phrase because it's meaningless. It's not literally true, and its figurative meaning isn't even clear. Don't you mean to say that their hot scoring has continued? Why not just say that then?

But, maybe I'm being a hard-ass on this phrase. How to others feel about it?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Worst phrase ever. Always edit it out. You made the right call.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

These guys don't look back.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Something might be gaining on you.

[​IMG]

5. It's right up there (down there?) with descriptions of rallies that come up short, as in "... couldn't get any closer." I swear, I've seen writers use it on one-point deficits. As if they could get within half a run or point or whatever. A quick delete key every time.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Needless to say, that phrase sucks. It goes without saying.

7. ok, while we're questioning our hard-assedness, what about "xx unanswered points?" they mean consecutive points. and unless it's the last run of the game, then all runs are eventually answered. perhaps just not very well.

so, hard-ass or greatest editor ever?

8. spud

spud Member

If you go on a 12-0 run, you've scored 12 unanswered points. During that spell those points went unanswered. I don't see the issue in describing it either way.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I hate the word unanswered. What did the points say or ask that didn't get an answer?

12 consecutive points... a 12-0 run. whatever. But points can answer or be answered or unanswered.

Almost as bad as "the third quarter saw..." Bullshit. The third quarter can't see shit. It doesn't have eyes

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

The last point (or points) were answered.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

'The city saw record sales-tax receipts.'

Makes me want to saw the writer's arms off.

12. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Nothing worse than "on the season."

Draft saved Draft deleted