1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Haslett, Green, Fassell, Cottrell to coach in UFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Mar 12, 2009.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

'Tis a pity that TV execs forgot about XFL ratings.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

it's F-A-S-S-E-L, dammit!! FASSEL!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The AFL worked pretty well in the 60s and the AAFC did OK in the 40s.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

what the L?

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Sounds like the worst law firm in creation.

Fledgling football league? When does Birmingham get its invite? Every Birmingham pro football franchise should be named Birmingham Fail.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

All four coaches are superior to Tom Cable.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You realise that this is just the CFL's way of invading the U.S. again, right?

Vive le Shreveport Pirates!

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think this thing might work. The NFL needs a D-league since NFL Europe went away, and Arena Football proved (for a time, anyway) that there's a niche for a lower league. CFL doesn't serve that purpose since its players generally stay in the CFL.

I do agree, though, it should have waited a year so it could field more teams and find a more sound financial footing.

9. micke77

micke77 Member

I love this kind of news because it illuminates, once again, the stupidity of certain folks.
    first of all, there's our economic situation.....duhhh...wouldn't that be a simple "red flag" that trying anything of this sort is an act of futility?
    then let's study our history books just a bit:
    USFL.
    WFL.
    Aren't I missing another upstart league or two that went into the tank?
    Then there's this other deal: don't we have enough pro sports going on that, regardless of how you might try and keep it from conflicting or overlapping with something else (or trying something innovative), the attention and interest span of John Q. Public is already maxed out?

10. micke77

micke77 Member

Hockeybeat...thanks...damn it, I knew I had left out the XFL as another league that bombed.
    case closed.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

There was also the World League of American Football, which was hemorrhaging money before it folded all the U.S. franchises, thus making it NFL Europe.

And the CFL also tried to expand to America in 1995, with teams in Birmingham, Shreveport, Las Vegas and Baltimore (the CFL Colts). That lasted one year.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted