1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Haslett, Green, Fassell, Cottrell to coach in UFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Mar 12, 2009.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Four franchise league, Jim Fassell in Las Vegas, Denny Green in San Francisco, Jim Haslett in Orlando and Tedd Cottrell in New York.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_ylt=ApfgLZjT.LwDCGJT9XSedcY5nYcB?slug=ap-unitedfootballleague&prov=ap&type=lgns

The United Football League is scheduled to run in the fall, ending Thanksgiving weekend. Does this have a prayer?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They should have gone with a 10-week spring league, April to June with a July 4 championship game.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

how about they wait until they have more than 4 teams? fail, fail, fail.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Let me check with the founders of the USFL and the WFL and I'll get back to you.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They apparently hope to survive as a sort of JV league for the NFL. Unless the economy improves dramatically, no way in hell.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

new usfl seems to think spring is a good time.

http://www.newusfl.com/

and i love how they already have a director of the usfl hall of fame.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I understand Vegas, Orlando and even New York, but San Francisco seems like an odd choice to me. The Bay Area already has two NFL teams and a couple of decent college programs.

Why not LA?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's sponsored by Coors Light

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They are going to play some games in LA (Hartford also). All the teams are co-owned, and technically no city has a franchise. All the teams are going to train the same place, too.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Nice idea, but not realistic if their season is going to go through Thanksgiving and players aren't available for the NFL until after that. NFL teams aren't going to wait until after week 12 if they have a roster need.

If they allow the NFL to grab a player anytime during the season, then maybe this has a sliver of a chance.

Of course, what days do they plan to play and not get tsunami swamped by coverage of the NFL and college football? Maybe Tuesday/Wednesday against the Mid-American conference?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm continually amazed by the large number of folks with a lot of money who think the American public will pay to watch a pro football league other than the NFL.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The SEC and the Big 12 are proof that the American public will pay to watch a pro football league other than the NFL.

Draft saved Draft deleted