1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hasek retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 8, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Re: Report: Hasek to retire

I think Shanny hung up the skates. Five others are Wings and a lot of Avalanche, or former Avalanche players. Your list looks like a 2001 roster.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That back has to heal though. A 46-year-old with lower back pain is in trouble doing household handyman work, let alone playing pro hockey.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Gordie Howe played with arthritis in his hands and wrists from his early 40s until age 52, and probably scored 300 goals during that time.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Shanahan is still playing for the Rangers

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hasek is the only one of the group Mizzou mentioned who has retired --and it wasn't announced until after his post.

Chelios is like the old guy playing beer league hockey with a bunch of 20 something's who think that they can skate circles around everybody.

They're dashing around, doing end to end rushes and the old guy just takes the puck away from them while realising you can move the puck out of your zone faster by passing than skating with it. They're spent after 30 second and he keeps going for a couple of minutes. It's called brains.

He's a freak of nature and I hope he comes back for another season.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Gordie Howe could kick Chuck Norris' ass. He's like super human.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I had felt this way as well.

No knocking Patrick Roy or Martin Brodeur. But for quite a few years, I don't think anyone held a candle to Dominik Hasek.

I know that one time my SE was doling out assignments for Whalercanes games. He offered me one of the Western Conference teams pretty low on the totem pole or Buffalo. With Hasek there, that was among the easiest choices.

He played so well in that game that even Paul Maurice was shaking his head in the post-game presser. Thanks, Mr. Hasek.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sam, they did a thing on TSN last night. Who was the best goalie of their generation? Hasek, Roy or Brodeur.

If I remember (I wasn't paying all that much attention) Roy was #1, Hasek #2 and Brodeur #3.

Based on longevity, Cup wins and Conn Smythe trophies, Roy would be my choice as well although both Hasek & Brodeur won Olympic Gold.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And you could argue that Hasek won his gold damn near by himself.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No doubt about that.

Draft saved Draft deleted