1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hasek retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 8, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

DETROIT -- Dominik Hasek is expected to announce his retirement, a person in the NHL told The Associated Press on Sunday night.

The Detroit Red Wings scheduled a news conference for Monday morning without revealing details.

A person within the league, who requested anonymity because the announcement was Hasek's to make, said Hasek was expected to end his award-winning career.

Hasek won six Vezina Trophies in a nine-year span from 1993-2001 as the NHL's top goaltender and was the first goalie to win two consecutive Hart Trophies as the league's MVP.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3432900&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Re: Report: Hasek to retire

Hasek's retired more times than Frank Sinatra did.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Didn't he retire in the First Round?

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

5. Re: Report: Hasek to retire

More like he was retired.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

When Hasek retired in 2002 he said he wanted to focus on some other hobbies, including his own clothing line.

I always presumed this line would be exclusively for abnormally skinny hockey players, as he weighs 165 pounds.

7. Petrie

Petrie Guest

I'm 165, so maybe he has a market :D I don't play hockey though...

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Os-good. Hasek was dominated.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

throw Roger Clemens in there too

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

The person spoke anonymously because it was "Hasek's announcement to make"? Yet they spoke anyway.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

In related news, Chelios has said he wants to come back, even if it's in a reduced role.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Although I normally rail against the "crafty-old-veteran-kept-around-to-mentor-the-youth" cliche, Chelios is one guy who would probably be valuable in that role. When he's healthy, he is still an effective player; he knows where the puck needs to be and how to get it there.

I'd offer him a player/assistant coach role on the basis he wouldn't be activated for more than about 60 games, and he'd have to agree to lesser money too, to free up cap space for other players.

Draft saved Draft deleted