1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has your paper made "Headlines?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Mar 28, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I can remember once, at an old shop.
    But it was on a Scripps wire story and Leno said it was the other paper and not mine.
    It was something goofy in the food section, but I don't remember exactly what.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

This was before Leno, but one of my favorites:
    Years ago, the "SE Emeritus" of the Pasadena Star-News covered a Sunday afternoon Dodgers game. He told the desk that he had to attend a banquet that evening and it might go late. So, they were instructed to leave an 18-inch hole across the top of the cover for his story, do the rest of the section and he would come in late and finish it up.
    In the game, the Dodgers and Expos got into a fight. Managers Tommy Lasorda and Dick Williams were kind of scuffling around the mob players who were going at it.
    Afterward, the writers asked Lasorda if he ever got into a fight with Williams when they were minor-league players. Lasorda says, yeah, they got into it in 1952 and "I beat him up then and I can beat him up now."
    So, SE Emeritus' headline: "Lasorda: I could lick Dick in '52 and I still can"

3. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

the word 'shit' accidentally got in our paper last week, but it wasn't in a headline so i hope we are cool. no one called about it, a fact of which i am not sure what to think.

4. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Paper I used to be at made it a couple times because we had a writer who shared a name with a certain band leader...

Leno: "People often ask me, what does Kevin Eubanks do when he isn't playing in the band? Well I did some research and found out. *holds up columnist sig of our writer* He's a chubby white sports writer up in Anytown."

Said sports writer was never amused.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

We've had two doozies here in my 9 years with this newspaper:

"War, violence linked" (That one made E&P)

and

"DNA sample taken from 69"

6. mureporter

mureporter New Member

My paper made it a couple months back for a dumb criminal. It was a guy who murdered his girlfriend and decided to represent himself. During his closing arguement he said something along the lines of, "Please find me not guilty for the crimes I have committed."

7. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Yes. We've made it.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Old shop made it for "Butts man convicted for crack" or something of that line. We had a Butts Co. in our coverage area.

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

First paper I ever worked at, I had to take a grip-and-grin stand-alone photo of a guy who won a monstrous TV at a local hockey game.

I had to go to the store, meet the winner and take a photo of him with the TV.

So, the TV is on the show room floor and is broadcasting the sports channel. Guy stands beside TV. I shoot the photo.

Now, back then, some loby group in Canada was running a TV ad to stop people from stealing cable and satellite TV. When I look at the photo, the screen is a dark seedy close up of a guy in an apartment (it's tough to make out in the black and white photo) but the BRIGHT WHITE WORDS are not. They read:

WHY IS THIS MAN SMILING?

BECAUSE HE JUST STOLE SOMETHING. AND HASN'T BEEN CAUGHT.

Winner had his arm on top of the TV and is grinning like mad.

10. joe

joe Active Member

One paper I worked at had "Destined for Fucking Mediocrity" listed as a softball team (in the agate).
    Another paper I worked at said Bo Jackson's hip went kablooey because of steroids (thank god it was before I worked there).
    Neither made Leno, but both made news in their own way.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We have had close calls, I'm sure.

12. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Draft saved Draft deleted