1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has your paper made "Headlines?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Headlines on Jay Leno was a Monday night staple at a former job. Whenever it came on the desk would stop what it was doing to guffaw over the typos and dumb criminals. Well, wouldn't ya know it, one night one of our paper's headlines was the punch line.

The newsroom got so quiet I thought I heard the copy desk editor piss his pants.

I know they've had another since then. Has your paper made it?

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I don't think my paper's made Leno, but we made Sports Illustrated a few years ago for a headline on American Legion game. Turns out the guy who umpired the game died a few hours after the game. Writer included mention of that in the gamer. Headline combined both elements, so it read something like "Pudunk rallies for win; umpire found dead"

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I take it your paper didn't believe in sidebars.

4. Golf shot.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I remember it happening on a Sunday and I'm not sure if the reporter had enough info to run a full sidebar. This was about 8-10 years ago, so my memory of the circumstances as to why we didn't run a sidebar aren't good.

6. ballparkman

ballparkman New Member

Years ago we made it for a story that ran on news side: "Body search reveals $100,000 in crack." No joke

7. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Our shop's made it twice in the last 10 years or so.

The first time, which was just before I arrived, was introduced by Leno with "What kind of editor lets this get in their paper?"

BTW, we'll soon be making our third appearance, based on a 4-column, 42-point headline that ran just this week.

8. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Headlines? No, but people do laugh at us a lot.

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

We did make it on the Colbert Report, because some 7-year-old girl drew a picture of Colbert and we published it on our weekly bullshit kids art page.

10. CU_Buffalo_Gal

CU_Buffalo_Gal New Member

I was at a paper that made Leno in the '90s. The paper was in a somewhat rural town in Colorado where the July 4 rodeo is huge. Every year we did a rodeo preview tab.

One year, we ran a photo of the rodeo committee, which was made up of about 15 white men older than 40. The photo had them in a semicircle, all on their horses, all wearing identical cowboy hats, handkerchiefs, white hats, white shirts, blue jeans and cowboy boots.

The headline read something like "Rodeo Committee is a Diverse Group."

I'm still wondering who had the stones to send it to Leno. If the city ever found out who, they probably would have strung 'em up. ;D

11. That is pretty funny.

Our paper has made it twice in the last five years. Both were classified-related funnies.

12. Taylee

Taylee Member

Never made it, but had a few headlines that were pulled just before page was cleared that would have been shoo-ins.
    News story on how Minnesota is lenient in comparison to other state in sentences for felony crimes.
    "Minnesota rapists get off easy."

Cross country preview in which team had only one senior, who's last name is Gay.
    "Gay, young runners to lead Wildcats."

Draft saved Draft deleted