1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has the first pick in the NFL fantasy football draft ever been so perilous?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Aug 28, 2008.

1. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

yahoo online draft. 8 of the 10 were present, and this still is who I got: (couple guys were idiots, ie, romo, mcfadden and owens went late in first round, etc):

QB: Eli Manning, Garrard, Kitna - my only overall weak position, but i refuse to take a QB in the first five rounds unless he's a top-4 or 5 guy.
    RB: Westbrook, J. Lewis, B. Jacobs, Maroney
    WR: Fitzgerald, B. Edwards, Welker, Reggie Williams (10 TDs on 40 catches last year? took him as my last pick. unreal).
    TE: Crumpler, Donald Lee
    PK: Crosby
    DE: New England.

2. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

My league was once 12 teams strong. On Sunday, we had only seven. That made it a little strange. I usually pick a host of good second-string backs with the idea that at least one will break into a starting role.

Before the draft, I looked at at last year's scoring. It turns out that our system is such that the No. 17 wide receiver scored as many points as the No. 4 running back.

So I decided that wide receivers were vitally important.

Then I got the No. 2 pick. I knew that was too high to draft a WR. So I picked Westbrook over AP. It was a tough decision. I had AP last year. But our league awards so much for catches (two points per) that I had to make the smart choice.

With so few teams, I was able to snag this group of starters:

QB-Derek Anderson
    RB-Brian Westbrook
    RB-Ryan Grant
    RB-Brandon Jacobs
    WR-Larry Fitzgerald
    WR-Randy Moss
    WR-Brandon Marshall
    TE-Tony Gonzalez
    K-Kris Brown
    Def-Minnesota Vikings

My non-starters are RB heavy. In fact, I took LenDale White in the last round. Several guys went undrafted. Perhaps Ahman Green was one of them. I know a few No. 2 WRs also weren't drafted. I am confident that I can pick up quality players if I need help. But I don't think it'll be necessary barring serious injuries.

This is going to be a strange season. Everyone agrees that I have the best starters. i also have DeAngelo Williams, Ricky Williams, David Garrard, Vincent Jackson, Jeremy Shockey and Heath Miller, among a few others.

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Alriiiiight.
    I'm tempted to start Garrard over Hasselbeck in my money league. Hasselbeck has only played two series during the preseason. Also, Branch and Engram are sitting out, not to mention he's going against Buffalo's defense (which IMO is going to be better than advertised).

4. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Don't do it. Start Hasselbeck. The veterans might be out, but they'll still line up some guys at receiver. And Hasselbeck will throw it. He has little choice with some questionable running backs.

Draft saved Draft deleted