1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has the first pick in the NFL fantasy football draft ever been so perilous?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I would never do the 2nd and 3rd round on two WRs there.

Dunno if I would even pick one.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Like you said, it depends on the scoring system. The rationale though, of picking running backs before QBs is that there is a larger scoring gap between, say, the No. 5 ranked RB and the No. 20 RB than there is between the No. 5 QB and No. 20 QB.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Would anyone make the following trade:

Gore/Brees for Peterson/Holt

I am in a 12-team league drafting ninth. Guy with the #2 pick is willing to trade his spot for someone's first two pick, and you get his fourth-rounder.

I have figured it out that w/out making the trade, I am projected to get Frank Gore, Drew Brees, Reggie Wayne, and Fred Taylor. With it I am projected to get Adrian Peterson (would love if LT dropped to #2), Reggie Wayne, Fred Taylor, and Torry Holt.

Of course, those guys could all go in different spots, but right now CBSSports projects those rankings. I'd probably end up with someone like Jay Cutler or Marc Bulger as QB instead of Brees if I make the trade. Doesn't seem like nearly as big a downgrade from AP to Gore.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How many teams in the league, TSP?

Personally, I wouldn't make that deal if it was 10 teams or 12.

The top picks are too volatile for it to be worth giving up a late 1 and a high 2 for Peterson and a 4th-round pick.

5. TheSportsPredictor

Twelve teams.

Yea, Peterson would have to live up to his hype to make it worth it. The guy I trade with would have four of the top 26 picks and I wouldn't make my second pick until 33. But if I could still get Holt and Wayne as WRs, that's pretty good. Boldin, Calvin Johnson, and Roy Williams should still be available in that range. So while in pickese it sounds like I'm giving up a lot, when you look at the actual players who should be available, maybe not.

6. outofplace

Meh. I wouldn't do it, but given our past history in fantasy sports leagues together, we usually take very different approaches.

7. TheSportsPredictor

How much do I usually crush you by??

This is a $$$ league. I gotta think things through in this one!

8. outofplace

Actually, it has been me crushing you every time, including finishing well ahead of you twice in the SportsJournalists.com baseball money league (first place in '06 and third in '07). Though I must admit I'm much better with baseball than football.

9. TheSportsPredictor

I don't even know who I beat and who I lose to. This year is an exception in baseball -- I am beating everyone, except for one person.

10. outofplace

I figured. I remember past conversations in which you didn't realize we were in leagues together.

You're in the SportsJournalists.com II or III that drafts tonight, right?

11. TheSportsPredictor

Ya.

If you used your screen name for your team name, it'd be easy to know who was who!

12. outofplace

That probably would help. Mine's pretty easy to figure out. There are two Steelers' fans in the league and 93Devil is the Dobra Shunkas.

Oh well. If I get the top pick, the autodraft will select LT for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted