1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has the first pick in the NFL fantasy football draft ever been so perilous?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, most every draft I've done has been like that -- until this year. Did a Yahoo draft last week, and was picking fourth or fifth, can't remember which. Brees went before I picked, I snagged Westbrook, and then Romo, Manning and Brady were all gone by the time my next pick came around. I would have gone for a QB in round 2 regardless, but it left the pickings a little slim.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

If you want to take Romo or Brees in the FIRST ROUND, please join one of my leagues. I will happily take your money.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I hate to sound like a fanboi, but Ben should be in the top five QBs.

I always adjust my picks to the scoring of the league.

If you get .5 for a reception or 1.0 for a catch, then a receiver or a RB with decent hands will be graded much, much higher than in a league where you might only get points for yards and TDs from receptions.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I won't touch a QB in the first round this year or almost any year. If I'm at the bottom of the second and Brady falls to me, then so be it.

I usually pick two QBs usually in the fifth and sixth rounds. Last year I took Rivers and Favre and that worked out well for me except for the fact that my playoffs ended when Favre shit the bed against the Cowboys.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Easy pick. Tomlinson. Next thread please.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on the scoring system. But most every league I've seen, when you look at fantasy points, most of the top scorers are QBs. I've never gotten the stone-cold rationale on why you'd take a second-tier RB before one of the elite QBs. Without any injury considerations, would you trade someone like Jamal Lewis for Peyton Manning in the middle of the year? Most likely. So why would you draft Lewis higher than Manning?
    Now, that said, I'm not taking Brees or Romo -- hell, even Brady or Manning -- in the top three. But if I'm picking later in the first round, after those three or four elite RBs are long gone, I'm all over the QBs. The position is too thin to risk getting stuck with a hit-or-miss guy like Jay Cutler.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

With the question marks around Palmer and now Anderson, I think he's moving up there. I still had him at the top of the second tier, though. The Steelers are kind of flaky when it comes to fantasy football. Ben will have a three-game stretch where he throws 10 TDs, then have six weeks in a row of 200-yard, 1 TD games. I value consistency, which is what separates him from folks like Manning, Brady and Brees.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Consistancy and Ben have not met yet.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Ya, most people who play fantasy football do what the magazines tell them to do, which is not to draft a QB early. However, most of the magazines base that on a scoring system that only gives 3 or 4 points for passing TDs. But if your league gives 6 poits for all TDs, the top 3-4 QBs will end up being as valuable as all but one or two RBs each year. If you want to draft Frank Gore before Tom Brady, or Earnest Graham before Drew Bress, I hope you're in my league.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

How is his knee? He hasn't played in exhibitions yet, which would be fine if he hadn't finished so ignominiously.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I am picking seventh and in a mock draft with my buddy, wound up with (OMG!) Joseph Addai. Not really sold on him, but there are questions with any other back. FWIW the guy with the first pick in our mock ended up with LT, A. Johnson and TJ Whos your momma. That's a solid foundation.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. But I wouldn't be shocked to see him throw for 30 touchdowns again, which probably does put him among the top five or six.

Draft saved Draft deleted