1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has PSU outrage jumped the shark?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 18, 2011.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I guess the outrage has jumped the shark for people who just want the horrific stories that are coming out of their beloved Ped State to stop.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Jumped the shark? Wait until the lawsuits comeout and people are compelled to testify, when deals are made and people start talking to save their own skin, and when PSU is finally made to release e-mails and other material that right now is protected by the convenient exemption to state sunshine laws it received. The shit hasn't even started to hit the fan yet.

3. Absolutely not!
    Expose the whole the thing ... And as I stated many, many times If Paterno is guilty of aiding any of this I'll join the mob against him
    If school officials were accomplices in allowing Sandusky to continue his alleged crimes the football program should be shut down.

But the continued savaging of Paterno and his supporters - in this case Franco Harris - is bullshit.

Matt Millen crying on ESPN was a bit much.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree completely. We are still in the "holy shit!!" stage of this event. The "tar and feathers" stage may be months away. We are, after all, discussing the possibility the governor of the state was involved in covering up child rape. That's liable to piss people off if found to be true.
    But it doesn't bother me that former players choose to defend Paterno. They are really defending their own memories of their youths. It doesn't make them right, but it's not a big deal to me.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

It jumped the shark with the jihad against Harris because he said a few words in support of his former coach. Did Franco molest children? Did he actively cover it up? If you put any stock in the putz running Pittsburgh, yeah.
    This is the very same shit that happened to Bill Maher 10 years ago (it could also be said about Ann Coulter, too). If we're going to punish people with loss of job, rep in community, etc. for making a few comments that opposed the thoughts of the lynch mob, then perhaps the terrorists (and molesters) won.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with Harris and other former players defending Paterno, but Harris's use and re-use of the phrase "the trustees have to explain why Paterno was fired" is disingenuous beyond idiocy.

Why do you think?

7. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

"I feel that the board made a bad decision in letting Joe Paterno go," Harris told the Tribune-Review's Kevin Gorman. "I'm very disappointed in their decision. I thought they showed no courage, not to back someone who really needed it at the time. They were saying the football program under Joe was at fault.

"They really wouldn't give a reason. They're linking the football program to the scandal and, possibly, the cover-up. That's very disturbing to me. I think there should be no more connection to the football program, only in the case that it happened at the football building with an ex-coach. I'm still trying to find out who gave him access to the building, who signed that contract."

Go ahead and defend that idiocy if you'd like. He really believes this scandal should have no connection to the football program. And yet you think it's bad that people are calling him out over these remarks? He's clueless, and he deserves to be mocked. Just another guy stuck in the Penn State time warp, where everything used to be perfect in "Happy Valley."

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Mayor Steelerstahl doing a little grandstanding is a jihad against Harris? Talk about over the top.

9. BUMP ..

It's reported but not exactly confirmed; the university has banned SuePa from the facilites.

But if so, yeah, this is over the top. ...

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

i find any and all after-the-fact penalties, like when reggie bush had to return his HEISMAN-- to mean squat to the general, non-fan-of-the-team public. i know bush won the heisman and was the best college player. say paterno had some bureaucratic bean-counters go in denial of his post-'o2 or whenever victories. i still know he's the all-time winningest coach.

but turning him into a martyr by stripping hm of wins just prolongs the debate and means, like shoeless joe, he becomes even MORE famous to the joe shmoes and more talk-radio/esn debate fodder, like, forever. why add to the legend?

11. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Joe's going to sue the school and you don't think it's wise that she takes a break from the school pool?

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They have enough money to build her own indoor pool and exercise room.

Draft saved Draft deleted