1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has PSU outrage jumped the shark?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I want to live long enough to be a mascot.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

In other words, I'm not 100 percent buying the outrage of the Support Joe crowd, either. I think it seems like a fun thing to do. Rally around the cute old fart.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Sandusky's serial acts of child sexual abuse, Joe Paterno's knowing and gross indifference to preventing child sexual abuse and a University's apparent cover up of child sexual abuse have nothing to do with football. Sports is merely the common denominator for how these people were put together.

This is a University problem and a criminal problem, first and foremost.

If you want to get to the heart of the matter, blame the near deification by the media of a man paid tens of millions of taxpayer dollars to coach a game. If a drama professor's choreographer sexually abused children on campus, would it be covereda tenth as much? No. Would it be allowed to happen if it was in the drama department? No. They would have fired everyone after the first report. But because Paterno can coach'em up and win, he was, for the last 25 years, THE most important person at PSU. And if he didn't open his mouth last week, he'd still be employed today.

BTW, Sandusky is the real villian, and his victims are the REAL victims.

4. At Penn State officials NOT named Joe Paterno, YES.

I have never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever said Paterno should stay. I said from, Go Joe had to go; either fired or resigned.

I stand by my original thoughts on this matter: There is a Lot of guilt and blame to go around in this whole affair, but Paterno is pretty far down the list, compared to Sandusky, McQueary, Curly and Schultz and even Spanier. Yet he has become target No. 1

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He's the only person anyone has ever heard of.

6. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

Franco Harris said some stupid stuff. There were consequences. Some people didn't want his words to be associated with their business. Where's the outrage in that?

The Big Ten didn't want its championship game tarnished by this debate over Paterno's involvement in the scandal. The conference also did not want the Stagg family pulling their name off the trophy. Is that outrageous? No, not really.

As for Bianchi? He's a columnist. He has opinions. He writes them. Again, not seeing much outrage there either.

You know what's really outrageous? That a known child molester was allowed to roam freely on a college campus, where he was allowed to assault kids for decades.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

For Ravenstahl to question anyone's moral character is a fucking joke. This is a guy who stole a police vehicle so his redneck ass could use it to tailgate at a Toby Keith concert. Problem is that it was bought with DHS funding and could have been taken away by the Feds for misuse. And how many physical altercations did he get in at Steelers games before becoming mayor? Guy's a spoiled little ass.What Franco SAID was stupid, whereas ravenstahl simply IS stupid.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

If you think outrage over this scandal has jumped the shark, PLEASE tell the information that keeps coming out everyday to STOP being so horrifying.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Totally agree. But as a football penalty -- if one is merited -- I think killing off the program for a period is the only way to truly "start fresh" and purge every last connection to the Sandusky period. I disagree with going backwards and vacating wins. That's pretty hollow and irrelevant.

10. Raiders

Raiders Guest

The outrage jumped the shark after 30 pages or so on the main thread. It left me wondering how many commenters were actual journalists and how many were just fanboi loosers.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

can they be just journalist-loosers (losers?)

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, he is not farther down the list than McQueary, Curly or Schultz. That's the JoPa fanboy in you speaking. Nobody had more influence on that campus than Paterno. If he wanted something to be done about this, it would have. Just telling Curly and letting it go wasn't nearly enough.

You disagree? Great. Tell it to every child Sandusky molested after the incident in 2002. Because just like McQueary and Curly and a few others, Paterno might have been able to protect them by doing the right thing.

And just to make it worse, he tried to dictate to the university how he would go out, once again demonstrating what an arrogant ass he has become.

No, you didn't say he should stay, but you sure as hell keep trying to deflect blame from the guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted