1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has ESPN finally woken up?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 30, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's not the same thing as Indy Lights. For several reasons.

Driver lineup, popularity of the series, etc.

SOMEONE'S going to put on a race that has 15 Cup drivers in it. Makes no sense not to.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

We'll know ESPN has woken up with "SportsCenter" turns back into a news and highlights show and gets rid of all the pontification.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Busch/Nationwide has been a reasonably big deal for a while now. It's a lot closer to Cup, and has been for many years, than it is say Hooters ProCup. I've no beef with national coverage of it.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

True, and since a majority of the time they're running at the same track as the Sprint Cup, it's easy for ESPN to cover.

I'd much rather that were on than more Madden Nation, And1 Mixtape, or the fourth and fifth string of ESPN commentators shouting at each other. At least then those of us who are going to be running something on it in the paper can keep track on how its progressing.

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

You'll get live poker, little league and bowling.
    Or you'll get a hike in your local cable rate, or ESPN will begin clamoring for an independently sold package.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The thing that lets you start measuring stupidity in base 10 units is when ESPN Classic rehashes poker, trick shot billiards and bowling, instead of old reruns of stick and/or ball sports.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

We're obviously a jaded audience, many of us having been subjected to covering the evil that is Little League. But that stuff still has to pull some kind of decent number for ESPN. It's not going away. But it sounds like feeble attempts at movies like "Season on the Brink" are going away, and that's a beautiful thing.

I'll confess to watching a few minutes of trick shot billiards anytime it's on. But I agree that their definition of "Classic" is way out of whack. Just call it ESPN3 or whatever and move on.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think they should do regular season Little League w/fan cams tracking the disgraceful parents (and hot moms).

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I actually like the Little League series games. You know that game means a lot more to those kids than one of 162 MLB games.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The Fitness America shows were the biggest casualty of poker, And1, Madden, etc. I prefer my cheesecake not making any pretense at journalism.

11. The Granny

The Granny Guest

They work just as hard. :)

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So you were a big fan of the Bodyshaping, Co-ed Training and Fitness Beach?

Draft saved Draft deleted