1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has Cruise lost it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Look at his stretch from Risky Business (1983) to Jerry Maguire (1996) and it's pretty easy to see why he was considered one of the top movie stars during that time...

Keep in mind that a bad movie that makes a ton of money is usually the best sign of a true movie star, especially if the movie isn't something like a Star Wars or a Superhero movie that doesn't need a huge star to make a ton of money...

Huge hits

Risky Business
    Top Gun
    Color of Money
    Cocktail
    Rain Man
    Born on the 4th
    A Few Good Men
    The Firm
    Jerry Maguire
    Mission: Impossible
    Interview with a Vampire

Whiffs

Legend
    Days of Thunder
    Far and Away

That's an insane record. I still maintain that until Knight and Day, he never made an "awful" movie. Far and Away was close... I hated Cocktail, but it was a huge hit.

I get why people don't like him. I don't like him. But to question whether he ever "had it" is pretty silly.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I was 13 when 'Risky Business' came out. I've always thought it was overrated.
    'Top Gun' is atrocious, as are 'Cocktail' and 'Born on the Fourth of July.'

'The Color of Money' was alright, not as good as some made it out to be.
    The same is true of 'Rain Man.'

I like 'A Few Good Men.'

'The Firm' is alright.

I've never sat through 'Jerry Maguire' in its entirety.

'Mission: Impossible' was an alright action movie.

'Interview with the Vampire' was alright.

'Legend' is terrible, and I was stoned out of my gourd when I saw it.

I've never seen 'Days of Thunder.'

'Far and Away' is painfully bad.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Where does Eyes Wide Shut fit in?

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I hate 'Eyes Wide Shut.'

5. Mizzougrad96

I think it was a disappointment, in part because people expected more from Kubrick and there was so much hype and secrecy surrounding it.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Best part was the Od'ed model with the great tits.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Cruise is a huge star because... whether the movie is good or bad, people are still talking about him.

He played Maverick as well as you can (I luv Top Gun BTW; the opening on the flight deck is special.)

8. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I loved Top Gun too...

There was a stretch during the 1980s and 1990s where a star could open a film. It wouldn't matter if it was Top Gun or Cocktail. If Tom Cruise, or Eddie Murphy at the time, or Schwarzenegger or Stallone or a handful of other actors were in it, it would do well...

Those days are long dead.

I can't think of a single actor these days who can open a movie on name alone... Will Smith was probably the last who could do it. Who else is there?

I'm also not convinced this is a bad thing.

9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Skinemax

Draft saved Draft deleted