1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has Cruise lost it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 24, 2012.

1. printit

printit Member

Cruise is, and has always been, an underrated actor. Terrific in Tropic Thunder, and Magnolia, and Collateral....I hope he moves into those type of roles at this point in his career.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I guess, although it seems if you only make a movie a year then eight years is only eight movies. That can be construed as recent.

However, I only mentioned 'Collateral' and 'War of the Worlds' because the initial post said Cruise hadn't made a good movie since 'Last Samurai.' Seems like 'Collateral' and 'War of the Worlds' did well after 'Last Samurai,' not to mention the MI movies.

Of course, doing well doesn't make them good.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

You're kidding, right?

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I remain an unapologetic, big fan of Cruise - the movie star. Cruise the man with this denunciation of psychiatry, etc.? Not so much.

Good to know there's at least one other person who liked Knight & Day. Yes, I really enjoyed it.

As for Reacher, I've read all the books and love them but haven't seen the movie yet. Wasn't a fan of the casting, obviously, but since I like Cruise's action movies, I do want to see it. My cousin texted me a few months ago, asking if I'd read the Reacher books. I said all of them, and then told him about Cruise -- he hadn't heard he was starring in the movie. he was outraged. Wrote a rant to me about how Reacher's physical presence is such a huge part of his character. I said I was going to give it a chance and could sort of buy into the idea that the size was a metaphor for his character, etc., and that Cruise could convey that. He wrote to me yesterday after seeing it and actually enjoyed it.

I've read that it's getting good word of mouth so should do pretty well at the box office when it's all done. And as others said, there was no way it was beating Hobbit. Was going to see it today but went to Zero Dark Thirty instead, but still looking forward to seeing tiny Tom running around and playing a gigantic MP.

5. If it were Jack Reacheround. Yes.

6. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Tom Cruise has been perfect for a few of his roles: Risky Business, Top Gun, Rain Man, Jerry Maguire. He also has done serviceable jobs in a few other roles that a better actor probably would have killed in: The Color of Money, Born on the Fourth of July, A Few Good Men, Magnolia, Minority Report, The Last Samurai. The second group is a better set of movies (with the exception of Rain Man), and Cruise did nothing to ruin them. He simply wasn't the ideal fit for those parts. He was chosen because, after Risky Business and Top Gun and All the Right Moves and whatever else, he was a huge star with serious drawing power.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I didn't know that Jack Reacher was a series of books until just before I went to see the movie, so I didn't go in with any knowledge of what the character was supposed to be versus how Cruise was going to play it.

I want to say that it was a good, but not great, action movie. It moved a little slowly. If there's a sequel, I'd consider going to see it. My only problem with Cruise is that since TV Tropes Has Ruined My Life (If you've ever been on that site, you know), I never saw the character Jack Reacher .... I saw Tom Cruise playing the character Jack Reacher. If Liam Neeson had played this role, then I'd be much more into the character.

I hope that makes sense.

9. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

10. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Go jump on a couch and scream again you litigious, self-righteous douchebag.

I hate Cruise for all the hateful shit he says.

11. Irony Police

Irony Police New Member

See, kids, this is how you do it.

Have a merry Christmas.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I should print this post out as a guide for when irony comes up in a story I work.

Draft saved Draft deleted