1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has anyone here gotten rid of cable/satellite TV?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They've been advertising every WWE, WCW and ECW pay per view will be available on the network. Not sure how far back the weekly shows will go, but I doubt it'll be every one right away. Figure 20 years and around 1,100 episodes of Raw alone is at least 2,500 hours of programming.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Doesn't watch ESPN ask you who your cable provider is?

3. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

If you're an internet-only cable customer, WatchESPN will only give you access to games that aren't on the ESPN broadcast networks.

I cut cable a few years ago, and I'm 90 percent comfortable with the decision. I work most nights, so I'm not missing much. And I have places to go if I really need to see something. The negative side is that there's a lot of streaming sports programming out there that requires a cable TV subscription.

Unfortunately, I live in a market where AT&T has given up on its internet service (after promising us 3-4 years ago that we were going to get UVerse), so there is NO internet or pay TV competition ... a dish is out of the question since my apartment faces the wrong way.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not sure what we're going to do yet. We're doing the free trial on Netflix right now and it's not working too well on the Smart TV. Maybe it's just an issue of upgrading the Internet, but it took 15 minutes to load The Croods last night and if that's as well as it's going to work, we might have to re-think this...

5. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Sports is definitely the thing that keeps us from doing it. We have a DISH bundle for about $200. We really don't use our home phone much. My wife is the only one who doesn't have one because she has one at work and then there's the home phone but she communicates on social media with just about anyone she cares to. I figure pretty soon we'll be able to select specific channels and sports will price itself upward, which is something ESPN for example hasn't been able to do by itself with major cable companies.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Before you upgrade your internet, try some of the basic things like unplugging your router and modem. Waiting for a minute, then plugging them back in. Not often the issue, but sometimes it is. And it's such a simple troubleshooting step, it's worth trying. Made a world of difference for me when my internet was being way slower than it should have been earlier this year.

7. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Ours was slow and on a routine call we found we were on a package than was never updated with the bandwidth options they had updated. We were essentially getting $40 service instead of $60 service. Hence, the slow net.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I haven't had cable since November. I seldom miss TV but it would be nice to watch more of the Olympics than I've seen. I do miss watching the EPL, Champions League and other soccer. Heading to a local pub soon to watch Barcelona-Man City.

I'm not sure you really save much money dumping the cable bill. Between books and DVD rentals (there's actually still a couple of great video rental stores here in Athens), I probably spend about as much as I do on cable. Does feel nice to not give Comcast or Charter any of my money, though.

9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

That may be the case today but I know for a fact I watched the Auburn-Oregon BCS title game on my Xbox 360. But, maybe that's the difference, using the console instead of the desktop? I know that season I tried to watch a Monday Night Football game through that era's version of WatchESPN (either ESPN360 or ESPN3) on my desktop and wasn't able to.

As for the WWE Network, I don't need 20 years of past episodes, just 20 weeks for me to subscribe tomorrow. (I'm not a big enough fan to pay for the Pay-Per-Views, so if that's the big selling point, it's useless to me.)

10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

If you know someone with cable who would trust you with their log in, WatchESPN and the provider have no idea you're not a member. I live in Idaho and have Cable One, which doesn't have a deal for access. My brother lives in Georgia and has Comcast. I use his log in, and everything works fine.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Mizzou,
    Maybe your netflix issues had something to do with this?
    http://business.time.com/2014/02/19/netflix-verizon-peering/

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The net neutrality ruling is ridiculous. The FCC was designed to regulate this exact thing. They should be allowed to do so. Congress needs to fix this and make net neutrality the law (again).

Draft saved Draft deleted