1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has anyone here ever run a marathon?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Four of them.

My main advice will be short, because these guys have covered a lot of the territory.

Make sure that you stay pretty organized re: your training locations. Know how long it is from point A to point B, what route you're going to take on a particular day, where you're going to park, etc., etc.

If you don't stay on top of these things, logistics become a nightmare and can discourage you.

Otherwise, it's a terrific endeavor. My goal is to qualify for Boston someday, though I'm still a ways away from that. The feeling of finishing never gets old - it's like, "Holy Freaking A., I just ran a marathon!"

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I started training for one while I was in college, for no other reason than that I was going to school full time, working two jobs and therefore really needed a hobby.

Problem being, I was 20 and possessed of no clue at all w/r/t pacing myself. I did lots of miles at a good clip, but I didn't give my body proper time to rebuild itself afterwards. Eventually I got hit with shin splints, knee problems, the works. I really regret not being smarter about it.

If you do it, I fall in line with everyone else in recommending that you go in brain first, balls later. Get professional advice and follow it. Above all, be patient.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My shins won't allow me to run long distances any more. The longest distance I've covered is 12 miles and, at the time, I could run all day. If I would've ever been able to run a marathon it would've been then.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Very impressive. Marathon bars are awesome.

5. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Not to thread-jack (I'll toss in my three cents as a one-time, 3:55 marathoner: I've never read any training program that suggested running anything more than two 20-milers during training. Three? I can't dispute the advice of the more experienced marathoners on here, but three?)...anyhow, to the jack. What do shin splints feel like? Is that where the entire outside of your lower leg becomes extremely tight, almost cramp-like, and you can't move your toe down or up?

If so....f*ck. I was hoping it was just my shoes. I haven't been able to run more than a mile without excruciating tightness and pain. Not in my shin, but along the outside of my lower leg.

Doesn't happen when I do the elliptical or play hoops...

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You could be describing shin splints. I haven't had them in more than a year, but I felt them on the outside of my tibia. It was more pain than tightness. The outer part of the bone, right by the muscle, would hurt like hell. I could actually run through them, and the longer I ran, the better the leg would feel. But then it hurt so bad afterward that I couldn't walk. If you think you have them, I suggest shutting it down, icing them and resting till you can run without pain. Take it from me. I ran until my legs became so weak that I gave myself a stress fracture. It was pretty painful. I could barely walk for about two months and was icing my legs all the time. I still have a dull pain that occasionally throbs in the bone for no reason. The other thing it did was make me into a stretching fiend. I slather mineral ice (old man salve, not quite as pungent smelling as Ben Gay, thank god!) on my legs to warm them up and then stretch for about 20 minutes before I run, and another 15 minutes afterward. Never understood stretching when I was younger, but now it is a must. It has had the side effect of making me way more flexible. I was the most inflexible human on earth and now I can actually hold my straight leg out and grab my toes. I would have thought that was an impossibility for me a few years ago.

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Great goal, Ragu. I had the same idea this weekend. I went to Wikipedia and found some fairly helpful information. For me, though, it's going to be a long-term goal that is more about the journey than the final outcome.

I started a health kick about a month ago. I was super-fat. I didn't weigh myself in the few months prior to the diet, but I know that I weighed 342 as recently as April and may have gained a few pounds since then. There were basic things that I couldn't do well, if at all.

I will be dipping below the 300 mark quite soon, largely due to a diet that cuts out almost all fat and limits my caloric intake while also cutting out most of the bad carbs. It's been a breeze, but it's a lot of work to pack healthy snacks and light meals for the road and so forth.

In terms of running, I can work into a slow and steady jog, mostly because I once ran three six-milers every week in my prime. But that was 10 years ago, when I was 23 and a chiseled 190. I believe I did my six miles in about 42 minutes at my peak, but that peak was short-lived and followed by lots of pizza and cheeseburgers.

I'm waiting for the weight to come down just a little more before I begin training. Then it's going to be a slow progression. I'll probably start with two miles and shoot for 10 by the summer, and that's really were the true training will begin. In any case, if I think I can do it, surely you can.

You'd be a fool if you didn't give it a shot. I consider it a great personal accomplishment. It seems that you have a very real opportunity to finish a marathon, and you might be able to accomplish it with a decent time. Does anyone know whether one of Iverson's compression cuff deals could limit the lower leg damage? Perhaps it's something worth researching. I know I battled shin splints back in my days of playing basketball almost daily. It's an agonizing pain, and I have a feeling that might be one challenge I'll have to overcome when I'm trucking my fat ass along.

8. prhack

prhack Member

Micropolitan is spot on with his Galloway plug. I bought one of his books when I first got into running and it's been tremendously helpful over the years.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I ran one, San Diego.

You can do it on the time you've got available. You just need to get those long runs in on the weekends.

I ran exactly, to the second, eight-minute pace through 20 miles, and I never hit a wall. But the last six miles were hard because, quite simply, my feet really hurt. That was a surprise. So the last six miles took an hour.

But you can do it without running 100 miles a week or whatever.

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00novice.htm

10. three_bags_full

First, I'm no doc and this may not be completely accurate, but: (maybe doctalk can help)

From my research I've learned that shin splints are a general description for a number of lower leg pains.

There are two types: Anterior and posterior.

Basically, anterior shin splints occur on the outside of the shins, a condition that's caused by the muscle swelling to sizes larger than the casing that holds it.

Posterior shin splints are caused by inflamation of the connective tissue on the inside of the lower leg.

When I walk at a fast pace, the outside of my legs hurt.

When I run, the insides hurt.

The only non-prescription treatment I've found came from the Mayo Clinic Web site:

R.I.C.E. Rest. Ice. Compression. Elevation.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Your treatment about rest, ice and elevation is spot on. And I am not a doctor either. Just know what I felt. For me, it was definitely on the outside of the bone, although when they got bad enough, I felt it in the whole bone. Now, the dull pain I get sometimes (don't have to be running) is still on the outside part of the bone. I have done a lot to strengthen the muscles in that area, but in a way, that might have been part of the problem. I have very skinny legs and overdeveloped calves. They are so out of whack with my ankles, that it could have been contributing to the problem.

The best was when I finally couldn't walk and I saw the orthopedist. The bone scan and X-ray were eye-opening. I had caused a pretty long, thin fracture along the bone, and you could see it pretty clearly. But he said, by the looks of it, I was still running on it and the thing had snapped and was already along in the healing process. So I had had a stress fracture and the thing was already healing by the time I sought help. It really did hurt like hell to get me to go to the doctor.

12. three_bags_full

I ice my legs at night a ton. Probably three nights a week (excluding weekends).

But probably the best therapy I've found (and I can't believe I forgot to mention this) is turning the heat on my legs during my commute.

I live about 35 miles from school (and exercise site). I turn the heat on my feet and do about 100-150 toe taps (each foot) on the way. If I get hot, I just lower the window.

Draft saved Draft deleted