1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has anyone ever REALLY worked with you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by McNulty, May 17, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that's cool, lono. besides, i felt kinda dirty disagreeing with you and agreeing with shots.

2. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

In an era in which good editors are often bogged down by a million other responsibilities and bad editors are simply just evil fucks, my experience has been that a lot of the best editing and refining gets done between writers.

But to a large extent that requires:

(a) Spare time for all involved parties.
    (b) An almost total lack of ego by both those giving and receiving the critique.

3. fremont

fremont Member

You've gotta have a little bit of an ego (if you don't look out for yourself, nobody else will in this business, unless you happen to be a $100 bill), but you have to know when to put it away. One time to put it away is when someone is trying to help you get better at what you do.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hate to really shake you ... but you agree with me more often than not. :p

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you're killing me with the truth tonight, shots.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It could always be worse. It could ALWAYS be worse.

(Check your PMs in a sec.)

7. McNulty

McNulty New Member

UPDATE: I heard back from the editor today.

And he liked the reworked piece, writing that it is, "Much better!" and has been moved over for editing. So it looks like I've sold a magazine/alternative weekly piece. Which is a nice step for me that's about 10 years later than I should have pursued it. Better now than never, though.

And the great thing is, I feel like that editor's thoughts on that particular piece are helping me right now as I work on a longer form piece for my paper.

8. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Thanks for this thread guys. I started editing at a new shop about two months ago after five years elsewhere as a reporter.

I always tried to be that guy who took the extra time to coach and mentor, and I promised my guys here I'd do that. Like so many have mentioned, there have been a lot of days when it's just style, grammar and go.

With this reminder, I'm going to go back, make some notes and fulfill my promise to my co-workers. Thanks for refocusing me.

Draft saved Draft deleted