1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has anyone been contacted by ESPN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hoopsfan23, May 30, 2007.

1. Hoopsfan23

Hoopsfan23 New Member

As I'm sure many of you have done, I routinely check the ESPN jobs site to look for any new openings. Of course its a long shot to work for the Worldwide Leader but I figured I would give it a shot. In the past six months, I have been contacted by them twice in regards to job openings. If you aren't aware, they make you take a couple tests to test your sports knowledge. Unfortunately, I passed one and just missed the cut for the second test. And as companies say, they said they would keep my resume on file if anything esle opens up in the future.

So is this a joke, or has anyone else got a call from ESPN. And if so, what do I need to do to work in Bristol beacuse I would work for them in a heartbeat. Hell, I could be Stuart Scott's paperboy and I would jump at the opportunity. OK, that was a bit extreme.

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Do you by any chance sell knives?

3. sportsed

sportsed Member

I suppose it would depend upon what the position is and whether your skills fit the job requirements. If you're applying for a jack-of-all-trades position, you'll be expected to have a high sports IQ across all sports. If it's a position within a specific department, say NFL or MLB, you'd be expected to know that sports inside and out. The vetting process to become a Production Assistant at ESPN is exacting. It's pretty much the same for those interested in jobs in the Research and Data departments, too.

4. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Someone who actually wants to work for ESPN here? You see something new every day.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Well, don't you sometimes get tired of working in journalism?

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm impressed no one dropped the obligatory "This thread will not end well."

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

we're on a diet and trying to cut back...

8. Flood

Flood New Member

Question 1: What is the proper spelling for this popular ESPN buzz word?

a) booya
    b) booyah
    c) booyeah
    d) boo-yah
    e) ESPN does not use this word

9. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I would probably work at ESPN. You see the newspaper market in Connecticut recently?

10. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I might be tempted to work there for the money.

11. I'm glad someone started this topic because I was wondering whether these jobs were real too.
    I have applied to more than 100 newspapers in the past two years -- trying to move up to a bigger shop. And I have not received a single phone interview.
    On the other hand, I have been contacted by ESPN twice to take tests.
    Though I did not get either position, it was nice to see what ESPN's tests are like.

12. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

You have to take a sports test? Is it all Boston questions or what? How in the hell did Simmons pass?

Draft saved Draft deleted