1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has anybody seen Boner? UPDATE: RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Feb 21, 2010.

1. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Depression wins again. :'(

Rest in peace.

2. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Never seen Growing Pains, but was a fan of his dad. No man should outlive his child, and no child, no matter his age, should feel so low he makes the unthinkable possible. RIP.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

First, RIP.
    Now...
    This means Boner is a stiff?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It sounds like this was well-planned which is almost worse, if that's possible.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nasty snow this morning and I knew I would be waiting a while for a subway (just before rush hour), so I grabbed the New York Post. I was flipping through and I see the headline, "'Boner' found dead in Canada."

It bummed me out so much that the guy is dead, seems to have lived a troubled life, and that is his epithet.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I know nothing about this guy. Did his suicide in any way have to do with him being called Boner all his life?

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

And was boner in The Client?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

From on of my friends' facebook updates:

I was devastated to read "Growing Pains star found dead and have it not be Kirk Cameron or Alan Thicke."

9. All joking aside, and I know the guy was about a Z-list celebrity, but it's sad whenever this happens. This past summer one of my law school classmates killed himself under very similar circumstances. Disappeared. Life-long depression. Found in a park a few days later. The guy was 35 years old with a PhD in philosophy and had left academia to attend a top 10-ranked law school. In other words, had pretty much everything going for him. Depression doesn't discriminate, obviously.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

True, but....if a guy with a PhD in philosophy can't find the positives in life, what hope is there for the rest of us??

Maybe this is one more reason to bask in our ignorance, and live a long and (hopefully) mostly happy life.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Holy shit, that's harsh. But funny.

12. To clarify, I was referring to the guy's clear intelligence and accomplishments, not necessarily that the subject matter of his expertise precluded depression. Obviously someone who spends that much time just ... thinking likely is forced to go down some pretty dark paths. But it sounded from his parents that his depression predated his philosophy interest, as in back to middle school days (not that we all weren't depressed on some level as adolescents). Big chicken or the egg thing working.

Draft saved Draft deleted