1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has any city in the last 40 years been punched in the stomach more than...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, May 14, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Cleveland has Manny Acta now, so all will be right in the end.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

New Orleans, too. First Katrina, now this oil spill...

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm biased because I once lived in Cleveland, but I would say that city has taken more stomach punchings than it's Rust Belt compadre because it's had more times when it thought it might be turning things around, when Detroit has just been on a long fall.

For instance, the Flats was the liveliest entertainment district in the city when I lived there, a triumph of turning around an area best known as a great place to watch the Cuyahoga River catch on fire. I was out one night and saw Frank Thomas, Reggie Miller, Albert Belle and Charles Barkley all in the same bar at the same time. (That was the night Barkley got arrested at another bar for a fight with another patron.) Now, in the words of that famous viral video, it looks like a Scooby Doo ghost town.

4. Gotta agree here. Lebron dropped a tripple double on the Celtics, and even then the Cavs never seemed in the game. If his point in taking Game 6 off was indeed to send a message, well, message sent. Let's see what they do about it.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Why would he "take game 6 off" to "send a message"?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, if you're not talking sports, it's Detroit by a mile.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

But why were so many NBA analysts talking about the Cavs as if they were a good team, as if they had a quality cast and bench.
    I look at that team and I see the same thing I saw when they lost in the finals (2007?): bad to mediocre team with a great player. If you plug another great player into that roster, such as Bryant, it's a 40 win team.

8. I'll go out on a limb and say I'm not the first person to think this.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I believe Cleveland has the 2nd longest streak of a city not to win a sports championship in the big 4--baseball, basketball, hockey, football.

Last won one in 1964, barely getting edged out by San Diego, who won an AFL championship with the Chargers earlier that year.

I think Toronto is next in line with the Leafs in 67.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Didn't the Jays beat the Phillies in the World Series?

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The Braves and the Phillies.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That doesn't say anything. For all I know, you think a Leprechaun lives in your closet. I'm sure you can find others who do, as well.

But again, what rational reason does he have for tanking a playoff game? Michael Jordan won 6 NBA championships because he carried the Bulls. If Lebron wants championships, he knows he has to carry a team.

What "message" would he possibly send by purposely tanking a playoff game, other than that he doesn't give a shit and doesn't want to win? His brand is that much more valuable with a championship, so why wouldn't he be trying to win one?

Draft saved Draft deleted