1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has an SID ever tried to frame you for misquoting someone? How'd you handle it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Adam94, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Sounds like the coach was a moron. He wanted the story to be more about his team in a brutal loss?

Most coaches would appreciate that you kept them out of the gamer in a situation like that.

2. valpo87

valpo87 Member

It didn't help my editor changed the headline claiming the team "cried for mercy." In my defense, I approached said editor before it went to press and he stood by his decision for that headline. While that was part of the coach's complaint, he wasn't happy the story was mostly about the other team's running back.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The coach knew what you were going to write as soon as the game was over?

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I blame soccer.

(Y'all are slipping.)

5. valpo87

valpo87 Member

I never got a chance to ask him any questions about his thoughts on his team's performance. He walked right past as I had a tape recorder out and he went to hand out some gifts to the school's cheerleaders. Usually, I give the coaches a chance to praise their team in defeat. He didn't give me a chance to write about anything positive, not that there were any in a 55-0 loss where your offense has minus-8 total yards.

Draft saved Draft deleted