1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has an SID ever tried to frame you for misquoting someone? How'd you handle it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Adam94, Nov 6, 2017.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

How good is the audio quality? Digital voice recorder or phone I hope. If so, get audio editing software to try to mitigate background noise or boost coach's voice. Then email the clip. Also make a transcript.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Sounds like an SID who needs to learn to pick his battles better.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

That's one surefire way to make sure your team never gets coverage again.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'd just tell them that you continually have trouble with them whenever you cover this minor sport, and it's just not worth the headaches.

Therefore, because of their unprofessional and unacceptable behavior, you will not cover that sport in the future. CC everyone up to the AD and let them handle their problem children.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

As enjoyable as it is to go scorched earth on someone for questioning your reporting, I've learned (over time) that it's almost always better to just be as professional and stoic as possible, and let the facts speak for themselves. Don't say you won't cover the team in the future. Don't rip them apart. It's fine to cc an assistant athletic director on an email, but be professional and let them act like children and you'll come out looking much better in the long run.

wicked, Alma, Hermes and 1 other person like this.
  6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I've never had an SID challenge me in any such way. If they tried, I'd shut their ass down immediately. Your whole situation is ridiculous. It's women's fucking soccer. Get over it.

Tweener likes this.
  7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If it was a revenue sport, it would be OK for the SID to act this way. But women’s soccer? We just won’t cover it anymore.

That’ll show ‘em!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    doctorquant and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  8. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

When I covered preps, I had a mom threaten to sue the paper and pull her advertising with us because I reported that her kid had been "dismissed" from the team. The coach confirmed it and I had it on a recorder, so my executive editor to the mom to bring it on. She stood down quickly.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Adam94 likes this.
  9. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

They went to war over women's soccer?

If my women's soccer forced me to go nuclear, I'd make sure he or she was picking up the check the next time...and then I'd order the most expensive thing on the menu...unless he or she is ranked nationally and included me in the Hawaii tournament travel party.

And rather than send a snippy email, I'd call the reporter and go "Dude, you have a copy of the interview?" And end this mess as quick as possible...and then put the first round with the reporter on the company card.

Women's soccer? Really?

BurnsWhenIPee and Doc Holliday like this.
  10. valpo87

valpo87 Member

I had a small high school football coach, who essentially was the athletic director, get mad because of how we wrote a story. His team lost a game 55-0 that was called at halftime due to a mercy rule. The opposing team's running back had more than 300 yards. The team in question had a net yardage of minus-8.

After the game, the coach walked right past me and ignored my request for an interview. None of the players wanted to talk either. The coach and school threatened to ban me from future games because the story was all about the other team.

I understand schools want to protect their brand, but the truth is the truth.

Adam94 likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Jesus. That's wacky. I once covered a high school team so bad that a father came up and offered me $50 to NOT WRITE A STORY ABOUT THE GAME.

Would've made it easier to hit deadline and that's probably — sadly — more than my place paid me to cover it...

Tweener and Adam94 like this.
  12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

It's only silly because it's women's soccer. If it was a more important sport, you'd be more willing to carry the water.

Draft saved Draft deleted