1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has al-Qaeda lost? It's starting to look that way

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 16, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Perhaps.

This follows on the heels of a story in the June 11 edition of The New Republic titled "The Unraveling" that I've brought up before but that disappeared --- probably in a pointless flame war but I can't quite remember. So I'll bring it up again.

http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=702bf6d5-a37a-4e3e-a491-fd72bf6a9da1

So in response to the other thread, which frankly smells of the late 1970s' "have-we-lost-our-way" mindset, I ask you this question: Is al-Qaeda falling apart, corroded from within by the acidic effects of its own extremism? Who, if anybody, will attempt to step into the gap created by this collapse? Is it now time to step back from the unnecessary infringements on basic civil rights that have had little and no effect? Can we start being America again?

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Re: Has al-Qaeda lost?

I'm not sure, but if al-Qaeda is being marginalized in the Islamic world for the reasons given, it's certainly a hopeful sign.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

al-Qaeda never really existed in the first place.

I stand by this statement.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If true, this is terrific news.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

So according to our various threads, Al-qaeda has lost but the terrorists have won.

Explain

6. wanna explain this one?

al-qaida certainly existed, even if it was nothing more than an ideology, a small group of people who all believed in one thing: down with the infidels.

even if al-qaida as a terrorist network was not strong, its existence as an ideological frontman certainly remains strong, and now it's as strong as ever.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

al-Queda hasn't lost jack. How do you fight an ideology? That's the problem right there. Thls country thinks it has the right to go into someone Else's country and tell them how to live. That's like my coming into your home and telling you how to run your house. You would find it insulting and would naturally fight back.
    The people in that part of the world feel that way too. Let them live their lives the way they want. As long as they keep their issues over there, it doesn't bother me.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

And Osama Bin Laden is really Santy Claus.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I saw mommy kissing osa-ama
    Underneath the mistletoe last night ....

hmmm, doesn't really work

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

They're blaming the terrorists for things that have nothing to do with the terrorists. Further discussion would have to be a thread on the politics forum.

@Drip: On one side of the scale, there's you. On the other side, there's the international intelligence community. Hmm ... I think you lose that one.

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Looking at this narrowly, have the 9-11 attacks achieved their goals? Is al queda imploding? I can see how both can be true.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think you're probably right, based on the impression I've gotten from Drip, though it's a small sample, but the intellegence community hasn't exactly set the bar very high.

Draft saved Draft deleted