1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harvey Araton leaves sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Aug 3, 2009.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Disingenuous leadership is rampant.

Moving someone from a comfort zone to break up monotony probably is a good thing.

Moving someone experienced and with a following from one section to another, simply to broaden their horizons, often isn't the best idea. Why push someone that strong to consider leaving? Why destroy or damage what someone built with their writing and reporting and make them, essentially, start over in a new area? That doesn't make good sense.

Then again, few things make good sense in today's industry.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This is like a hospital telling its top cardiologist, 'Look, you're great, we love you, but we're really trying to build up our gynecology department, so we need you to be a gynecologist now. You're a terrific doctor, shouldn't be that hard to build a new practice, right? Because, you know, we have a lot of cardiologists and we don't know how long we'll need all of you...but we really need gynecologists, and we're not going to spend the money to hire outside doctors. Think it over, you start Monday.'

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ours is not a life-threatening job but your analogy is right on.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Publisher: "You've done a great job in the newsroom. But we need you in the press room."

Editor: "What? I've never done that before."

Publisher: "It will be good for you and your career. You will thank me later. You'll start out learning about the press and how to adjust things, and before long you could be running the whole thing. There also could be a position in Circulation."

Editor: "But my background is in the newsroom. I'd rather stay there. I've built the social networking, Web, moved reporters to new beats, cut the staff and paper like you wanted, and we're still struggling. But it will come around."

Publisher: "Sorry. This is the only option we have right now."

When that scenario transpires I'll dance a jig.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That's perfect, SixToe. It's always the same old shit. Reassignments, demotions, hiring for diversity, hiring for youth, running off those with big paychecks in favor of those who'll get small ones -- they're all grand ideas as long as you're doing it to someone else, rather than someone doing it to you.

Then they want you to actually smile at their maneuvers and take it and someday even thank them. Fuck me? No, fuck you.

6. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

from romenesko, no replacement for Harvey Araton:

http://www.observer.com/2009/media/old-fashioned-sports-columnist-its-game-over

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A columnist is a brand... whoo boy...

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Once again, Jolly pisses on the masses.... and does it with a smile.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Other than the monthly takeout, The Times has become an empty, bland section.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That's all right. The masses are peeing right back on him, his paper and all their ilk.

He should go hire another 24-year-old, slap the Times brand on that and convince us we're going to learn something.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Times pisses on it every time they run a Rhoden column.

Draft saved Draft deleted