1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harvey Araton leaves sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

If you think your opinion of what you saw is always right, then there's no need to read anything. Ever. In fact, why read at all? Why interact with people at all? They have nothing to teach you. You know everything, right?

Good lord.

Opinion columns do more than tell you what you saw. They tell you what the columnist saw, or what one of the principals saw, or a different perspective than your own, perhaps, which could open up a whole world for an open-minded person.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

There's nothing wrong with hearing another point of view. I'm all for that. However, if you are that weak-minded enough to believe everything that a commentator says or what a columnists writes, then I truly feel sorry for you. That means you're not thinking for yourself.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Dear God. I give up.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, that's your opinion

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I still maintain that, in this case, this move should be seen not as a punishment, but rather, as a compliment.

If you look around the major metros today, it is the people who are willing and considered able to move around, and who are asked to do so, who usually last the longest. Very often, they also are the ones who rise the highest, because the multiple, varying roles give them great background, plenty of experience and range, and a broad, more complete view of what's going on across all sections and levels of a newspaper.

This move means the paper is providing another option, thereby trying harder to keep Harvey, specifically, than it might if somebody else was involved. It is finding a place for him that's another option in addition to sports.

Papers don't have to, and often don't, offer that possibility when cuts come.

The powers that be are demonstrating that the person is considered valuable, and showing faith that the person will be able to do the new assignment, and do it well, despite its unfamiliarity. Again, this view of people is not true of and doesn't apply to everyone.

Is Rhoden considered one-dimensional in terms of ability? I don't know for sure, although I do suspect his appeal is considered more limited than Harvey's, and that is probably a factor.

But, the powers that be definitely are confirming that Harvey is not considered a one-trick pony.

That's a good thing, and Harvey should make the best of what he, right now, might consider a bad situation.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Exactly. I think you hit this one on the head.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Some ideas for Harvey:

Auto Section - Pimp my Ride - the story of how pro athletes junk up their $100,000 Bentley's

Home Section - Fixing Up My Crib- at home with Eddy Curry and his extended family.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

harvey and i have discussed this for several weeks. i believe this is exactly the attitude he is bringing to his new challenge. i'm very confident he will excel with this as he has with every other obstacle in his path.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Bob Herbert is getting a little long in the tooth, perhaps they should slot in Rhoden there.

Araton could take over for One trick poney Frank Rich

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I see what you're saying there. But there are papers that will move the veteran around to a slot they think he/she might dislike enough to prompt their exit. And there is something to be said, late in a distinguished career, for having the choice be yours as to whether you move to a new role or section. Newspapers have been notoriously bad about just up and redefining good hard-working people because some editor with less tenure decides the furniture needs to be rearranged.

And those who do it often are the most disingenuous, telling you, "We value you. We're doing it for your own good. You'll thank us down the road." Maybe not.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Be nice. Frank's a two-trick pony.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Early in my career, I had an editor who thought it was a bright idea to move me over to news. I didn't want to make the move but I needed the gig. Said pretty much the stuff you said, including one day day you'll thank me for it. Well, I have to admit, it did help me career-wise. Never got the chance to tell the guy who moved me thank you. He got canned about a year later.

Draft saved Draft deleted