1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harvey Araton leaves sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Aug 3, 2009.

1. AD

AD Active Member

it's intriguing. five years ago i'd have said that the internet would empower columnists, because everybody knows the news almost instantaneously, and surely by the next morning. figured by now we'd see sort of what the san francisco chronicle was doing 15, 20 years ago: columnists, opinion, even columny game stories -- pure take, out the wazoo. instead, it looks like 'take' is losing its power -- if only because anyone can have one -- and what others have said here makes sense. it's the reporting, stupid, always was, and will be still. are we coming full circle then? sorry about all questions, but it just feels like there's a turn coming. and, with everyone else, i love a columnist like ian who reports. tell me something new.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Still believe what a former boss told me: Your lead columnist should be your best reporter. Stray thoughts from the recliner? That is not added value, but a reasoned opinion built around gathered information and distilled analysis is.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What are "general features for more ad-productive sections"? Would it be something like Travel or Auto?

Seems like the Times has been planning on getting rid of general sports columnists for a while. I noticed a few months ago that they eliminated the click on for "Columnists" on the Times Sports home page.

Congratulations to Tom Jolley.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is the money line for this entire industry -- always has been, and always will be.

Now, if only everyone -- both in the public and in the business -- could just fully realize, understand and appreciate this...

5. Sounds good in theory, but the problem is you can have some ego clashes and stepping on of toes if columnists try too much to get involved in the beat writer's work. It's a delicate balance.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I can't see how that's a better sports section without Harvey in it.

Yet they want to charge more now?

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

It's not. But now that they slashed the freelance budget, they need someone to write all those pieces. So they cherry-picked the rest of the paper for established writers who could write features. I don't think Harvey was the only one relocated.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Begs the question: Why wasn't Rhoden drafted?

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Somehow I don't see Bill Rhoden in the Style section.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

So because Rhoden is a one-trick pony, Araton gets punished.

That ain't right.

11. derwood

derwood Active Member

Auto section is almost gone, worse than sports.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yes. Personally, I don't need someone who watched the same game I did tell me what I saw. I think I'm formulate my opinion. I'd love to see political commentators go out the same way. I don't need some clown watching a debate tell me what they thought of it.
    Harvey is good people and he's going to be fine. Rhoden and Mr. Vescey couldn't make the switch professionally as easily as Harvey can.

Draft saved Draft deleted