1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harvard University fund sells all Israel holdings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 15, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is the same strategy that was used against South Africa's Apartheid government.

So why's it being applied to Israel?

Original report here: http://www.globes.co.il/serveen/globes/docview.asp?did=1000581912
  2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

As of now, there's no evidence it's "being applied to Israel."

Speculation on a right-wing blog is not fact.
  3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Nor is it, by the nature of where it appeared, a lie.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It would be hard to believe that it's just a coincidence.

It appears that they're both bowing to pressure & ashamed to publicly announce their actions.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They needed the money so they could kick in for the Obamosque.
  6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Maybe somebody in this country finally has come to their senses and decided that it's time to stop blindly supporting Israel, because is as much to blame for the Mideast fiasco as anybody.

And Harvard doesn't have to worry about the Jewish vote the way every politician in this country has to.
  7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I guess Harvard doesn't like the fact that the Israelis are mean to people who are trying to kill them.
  8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I would imagine their concern revolves more around the way the Israelis treat people who aren't trying to kill them.
  9. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Harvard is a private institution. If it wants to use its economic power to pressure Israel to change its policies, why would that bother anyone? To see something wrong with this, you'd essentially have to take the position that Israel's policies should never be questioned by anyone. There are few things more American than expressing approval or disapproval with your spending power.
  10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

No one called the Harvard Fund in either of those pieces. So aside from innuendo, what else is there?
  11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Or perhaps it has something to do with this type crap:

12. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

"It's more technical than strategic or an issue against Israel," he told The Media Line. "I have asked my international relations people to check it and we believe it's because Israel was reclassified as a MSCI developed country in May 2010."

From a link in the story.
Draft saved Draft deleted