1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harvard professor is just the worst

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Dec 9, 2014.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Hero to the lounge lizards, Harvard professor gets into a truly weird e-mail battle with a local Chinese joint over his bill.

Turns out he paid $4 more than he was supposed to. Or maybe not. It gets a little convoluted.

http://www.boston.com/food-dining/restaurants/2014/12/09/harvard-business-school-professor-goes-war-over-worth-chinese-food/KfMaEhab6uUY1COCnTbrXP/story.html

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Man, that professor's photo just oozes "I'm a pretentious cockbag"

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I hope that guy gets a paper cut that never heals

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

How do you like THEM egg rolls?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But then the restaurant owner was like, I'm All About That Base Price, No Treble:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The guy on the right looks like a guy I'd like to have a drink with. The guy on the left looks like someone I would like to punch in the face.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

He paid a dollar more than the listed price and ordered like 4 items, so it was $4. The owner misstated it as $3 at one point during the exchange, which made the guy even more condescending. But he wanted $12 as punishment because that is the penalty the authorities would impose, so he says. What a dick. Love the way the guy handled it, letting the authorities decide the penalty. Guessing they never got involved.

Pretentious coackbag sums it up perfectly.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

He's basically a bully. Using his education credentials to harass and intimidate this guy over next to nothing. It's 4 dollars, asshole, he offered you the refund, take it and shut the fuck up.

10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

This guy is no doubt a complete douchebag in terms of how he handled this -- the correspondence is just embarrassing to read. And he's very easy to hate given the archetype he fits. That said, a small part of me can't help but feel that he's right IN PRINCIPLE (and I emphasize in principle, not in approach). Let's just say I'm not entirely convinced the restaurant owner didn't know exactly what he was doing by upping the prices on the menu without updating it on the Internet and then happily taking a little bit of extra cash all along from people not looking too closely at their bill and keeping it up until someone called him on it. I have no way of knowing if this is true, and I'll give the place the benefit of the doubt, but having worked in restaurants in the past and experiencing how shady the owners were and the corners they used to cut, I wouldn't be shocked if that was the case. And if it's the case, pulling the "I'm just a hardworking immigrant running a mom-and-pop store" card doesn't work for me. Plenty of people who fit that bill are more sophisticated than they let on.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm with X-Hack on this; the guy may be a douchebag but I appreciate his efforts.

How many people a night have ordered online from that place? 10?

Let's say 10 people a night walked in and each stole $4 out of the guy's cash register. How many nights would that go on before the "mom and pop" restaurant called police and put an end to the ongoing petty larceny?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

From the email chain it sounds like they had a disclaimer that prices may not apply at other locations. That's pretty standard. He might not have been advertising that fact, but he wasn't hiding it.

Draft saved Draft deleted