1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harvard Law to Sports Journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 13, 2007.

1. This guy attended Harvard, Harvard Law and quit a DC law firm to be a sportswriter.
    Sounds like a decent guy - for a former Ivy-League Lawyer.

http://www.sportsmediaguide.com/

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've noted several times - one of the best in the business and one of the best people in the business.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

interesting interview. loved how he talks with his old buddy about storytelling five times a week.

4. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

This is one reason why I love SportsJournalists.com. This kind of discussion mixed with that kind of story is exactly why I keep coming back here.

Excellent read. I used to read Caulkins' columns more often but I haven't had a chance to do that much lately.

His point about his writing style fitting Memphis, but it might not fit other markets, is quite dead-on.

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

His kindred spirit is Brad Snyder, who is a Duke graduate who worked for the Baltimore Sun for a couple of years after college, then went to Yale Law School (only one more highly regarded than the "H-Bomb"), then recently quit his fancy, high-paying law firm job to write a book on Curt Flood's fight for free agency.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

These days I don't think it's that uncommon to see people go from an Ivy League or comparable (Duke, Stanford...) into journalism... All I know is that if my parents had paid $30K a year to send me to an Ivy and I went into journalism, they'd probably have killed me...

Calkins is definitely one of the best in this business...

7. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

calkins acknowledges leigh montville as his model.

montville is writing decent books - but it's too bad he doesn't have a column.

the young writers on this board never got to read montville at his best.

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Mizzou - I'm wondering if Calkins comes from wealth. Not that it's any of my business. But all those fancy-schmancy degrees ... I would think a lot of parents of means, to whom money isn't too much of an object, might value education for the sake of education. Not just as a monetary investment. And others - the same ones, in fact, in a lot of cases - figure that the prestige and experience of an Ivy education is worth the price tag, no matter what it leads to.

Me? I'd have gotten slapped upside the head.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had a close friend from high school who went to Stanford. It was his lifelong dream to go to school there and be a sports joournalist... in that order...

His first job, he was making $11 an hour covering preps. That's fine, but it's not fine when you have over $100K in student loans...

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

pringle, many (maybe not most, but plenty) of people realize that college is more than just a trade school to prepare you for a career. but you're talking to mizzou here who repeatedly bashes any journalist who spends money on an expensive education and doesn't go to j-school.

calkins seems to say that without harvard he might not have made it to where he is today. he refers to harvard law but who knows if he'd have made it to harvard law without harvard undergrad.

fwiw, i know several journalists who were successful - defined as working in a major metro - at a young age who went to harvard. most work in news that i know of. if i'm not mistaken the harvard crimson cranks out tons of reporters every year.

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

But it's tough to apply your value system to someone else. It's like the old philosophical brain bender about what it's like to be a bat.

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Cardinals' mlb.com writer is a Harvard man, as are some SI writers.

Draft saved Draft deleted