1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hartford's Alan Greenberg dies

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OTD, Mar 6, 2007.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I'm in as well.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, count me in. This is such horrible news.

3. OK, I'm a big talker.
    Does anyone know how to organize one of these?

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I'm sure there will be something in the Courant about this. It'll probably have a place to make suggested donations.

5. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Alan was a good writer, but an even better guy. Always pleasant and really enjoyable to be around. I'll remember him for several reasons--he NEVER used a tape recorder, and was one of the only guys on the Patriots' beat who could make Belichick laugh on a consistent basis. He will be missed.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That is unspeakably heartbreaking.

7. ned racine

ned racine Member

i met him a couple of times in the good old days when writers cared about newspapers more than books or radio....he,albom,kornheiser and others would sing at the piano....it was a fun time to hang out.....alan seemed to be a real good guy who did not take himslef as seriously as some of his friends and colleagues......r.i.p......

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

One of the really good ones is gone. We will miss you Alan.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy shit. That is awful.

I grew up reading Greenberg. Right hand side of the front page of the sports section. He raised plenty of hell in his columns. I remember he didn't think UNC had a shot at the national title in 1993...and I remember writing him a letter telling him he was a fool the night the Tar Heels won. Thankfully, I never sent it.

So many people go from beat writer to columnist and do a better job at job no. 2. How many go from columnist to beat writer--for two different teams, no less--and their work is as good at job no. 2 as it was at no. 1?

This is particularly jarring coming on the heels of the near-death experience suffered by Jeff Jacobs.........who of course replaced Greenberg as the Courant's lead columnist.

R.I.P. Just awful, awful news.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hadn't seen Alan in years, always enjoyed the time I spent with him. One night during the NCAA visit to Hartford years ago was particularly memorable.
    This sucks hard. RIP to a good guy. Damn, damn, damn.

If anyone gets scholly information, let me know and I'll sticky it like I did with Van's. If we don't get any, we'll start one of our own. I'll take care of that.

11. For a fanboy, you're a helluva guy, Mods. Thanks.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-alanobit0307.artmar07,0,2386940.story?coll=hc-headlines-sports

Draft saved Draft deleted