1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hartford's Alan Greenberg dies

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OTD, Mar 6, 2007.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

2. OMFG.
    A great guy.

3. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

What a sweetheart Alan was. I loved being around him. He loved being married, being a father, more than he ever loved the business, and he loved the business dearly for a long time.
    Now, let me preach to all of us who wear ourselves out doing what we do: take a day, spend the money, GET AN ECHOCARDIOGRAM.

It'll tell you if there's anything wrong with your heart's structure, its arteries, the muscle itself. These sudden, unexpected, "shocking" deaths can be prevented.

I was lucky. I woke up. They put in a stent. I'm fine. But every time I read about these deaths, I say, "It didn't have to happen."

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

holy crap! alan was among those of us who would try rockin' out around piano bars during super bowl weeks. :eek: :eek: :eek:

how life sucks.

r.i.p., greenie. how it hurts to type those words/initials. :'( :'( :'(

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

This is horrific news.
    Alan's one of those guys who always had a smile and kind word for most anybody. Can't believe he was 55. He seemed a decade younger.

6. He also looked like he worked out about eight hours a day. Scary.
    RIP to all the polo shirts.

7. girl friday

girl friday Member

i got the chance to get to know Alan better this season. he was such a witty, funny, opinionated guy, and the first person i've ever met that admitted that he had a favorite child.

it gets worse too -- his family was supposed to celebrate his son's bar mitzvah on saturday.

shocking. he'll be missed...

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wow.

Today, before this news broke, I heard Kornheiser say he and Wilbon had recorded a PTI-style script for Greenberg's son's Bar Mitzvah.

It sounded like it was something he had done recently.

Then I open the site and see this.

Freaky.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

this just keeps getting sadder and sadder. :'( :'( :'(

10. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

With an echocardiogram, Pete Maravich might be alive today. He died because he had one coronary artery, not two. The congenital malformation could have been fixed with surgery. But no one knew it existed until autopsy.

11. SportsJournalists.com scholarship fund for Alan's kids, anyone?

12. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Let's do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted