1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hartford Courant ditches last pro beat....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Jan 23, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I don't completely agree with all of this stuff -- but ask yourself -- if you must choose between doing some things big-time and very well and others via AP or doing a lot of things and most of it half-assed because you are stretched so much -- what would you choose?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Now why is that so hard to believe?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

No offense, but if you think this is a good idea, you've never lived in Connecticut.

The Courant used to be a big-time paper that refused to fall for the notion that Hartford didn't count b/c it was in the middle of NY and Boston. It rewarded the readership. Now it is, for all intents and purposes, no better than a JRC rag.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

CATS AND DOGS. LIVING TOGETHER. MASS HYSTERIA!

5. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

We are surrounded by idiots.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I guess people may be thinking it's a sign if a "big paper" like The Hartford Courant drops its last pro beat that our industry's in big trouble.

However, your point about using resources in the best possible manner is well taken. Hartford doesn't have a pro sports team so it probably should rely on AP for its pro coverage unless there's a Hartford or Connecticut connection and have a feature writer do something.

It sucks, but that's the reality of the business these days. Cover the hell out of U Conn and have the U Conn beat writer cover the Sun during the summer. And if the NHL puts a team in Hartford (which it will around the same time as pigs start flying), THEN pick up a pro beat.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We've known that for eons.

8. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I'm not your typical Courant reader because working for a sports Web-site, I get my pro sports there.
    As a transplant, I read UConn and my local high school stuff occasionally. I always see what Shawn Corchesne's got. But I get the paper for the other sections and because, damnit, I'll give up my newspaper subscription when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
    So, I won't really miss the cuts to the pro beats in the Courant, but the rest of the paper has headed south with sports these past two years.
    And I would never subscribe to the Times or Journal as my only newspapers. Unless they start covering the hell out of Hartford and Litchfield counties.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The most amazing thing is not that the Courant is out of covering pro sports; it's that the nation's oldest newspaper is down to a writing staff of 10.

10. spankys

spankys Member

i may have read it wrong, but I think they're even down to a staff of 10...editors included (though, presumably, not including copy editors)

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I understand they're at 19... 10 writers and nine (not sure if that includes Otterbein) on the editing side. I may have those numbers flip-flopped... that was (pretty reliable) third-hand info.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

"Beating" the others isn't something that happens regularly, even among the NYC papers. Not on legit big stories. There are (were) too many good reporters working those beats for everyone else to miss something big very often. The standard that I think applied for papers like Hartford: Is your coverage good enough that your readers don't need a New York or Boston paper to follow a New York or Boston team? In my opinion, yes it was. Some of their writers (and editors) had handled pro beats in larger cities. Off the top of my head, some of the better writers: Greg Garber, Jack O'Connell, Claire Smith, Peter May, the late Alan Greenberg, I'm sure I'm forgetting lots of them. Jon Pessah went from being SE there to SE at Newsday. They talked to me about a layout job in the late 1980s and they were giving people six weeks' pay for a Christmas bonus. They were paying the NYC and Boston writers enough to live in those areas.

Draft saved Draft deleted